Home Chat General Chat

Use of hand paddles during lane swimming

OK so its a public session but really......what danger is there?
I was in a lane all to myself as well and its not like you'll be using them for the full hour

Those four lengths I did manage tho were funky!
Can see how they help!

Does anyone know if there are similar issues with the use of webbed mitts in public sessions?
Or are you lucky enough to be allowed to use hand paddles in your pool?

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I tried to use paddles in lane on publiuc sess and got asked not to.
    I asked in mitts would ok and gthey said yes but ask before using them.

So I know ask the 12 year lifegaurd each time if please sir can I use my webbed gloves and they say yes but slightly jigh pitched.
  • I used to use rigid plastic hand paddles to train with, but there is nowhere I have tried recently where these are allowed anymore (one pool even told me to take my watch off in case i scratched someone with it!).
    I now use soft webbed mitts which have proved to be almost as effective, and have had no issues with the pool staff.
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    Having been clipped across the knuckles by an errant paddle I can understand why they aren't allowed. It hurt like hell and I did wonder if I'd broken a finger.

Having said that quite why they couldn't be used in the 'fast lane' where people supposedly know what they are doing, I don't know.

In fact maybe they'd be a good idea, slapping some of the 'fast' swimmers that are really slow might make them reconsider what lane they are swimming in!
  • [quoteIts a pity the pools that stop you from using paddles aren't as keen to deal with the dry haired old lady breastroking in the middle of the fast lane.][/quote]

A great pity! I will mention it to them tomorrow. Maybe a judiciously aimed "lifesaving" rubber brick might work... Or are they banned by 'elf & safety now as well?
  • kirkbykirkby Posts: 17
    I asked to use paddles and snorkle gear for my child and was told I could only use them in a swimming lesson due to health and safty, but it is alright for them to put hard footballs and swiss balls in the pool for the fun sessions which hurt like hell when you get hit in the head.
  • Morg007Morg007 Posts: 54
    I swim at a health club that is part of a hotel. When I started using paddles, fins etc I went for the theory that ignorance is bliss so didn't say anything until they told me not to use them. They never have and nobody has ever complained so I'm quite lucky... do get some strange looks from people though
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    it seems i am lucky that my local pool, despite it's myriad faults, has no problems with any pool toys - i've used snorkels, fins, kickboard, paddles and no-one seems to give a toss. i've never asked if i am allowed, either, and just figure that looking vaguely like i know what i am doing is reason enough.