Home Chat General Chat

Imformation Overload!

Hi Guys,

I am a tri-virgin and i have enrolled in a sprint triathlon the 2nd of July..

I have learnt to swim (roughly) in the last few months and have just been trying to increase my general fitness using the Joe Beer bookas guidence but im finding it increasingly difficult to stick to a plan and keep motavation...

I have been reading various 12 week plans for sprints from really basic to complex and im soooo confused!!

Can anyone recommened any plans i dont want to keep having wasted sessions

Thanks

ps any other tips are more than welcome i.e dont do it

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    If this is your first tri then you dont want to over complicate things.
    Have you tried the BCTTT forum for some posts to read. Loads of good info.

A good plan is one that suits your needs. If you have learnt to swim then you have already done more than alot people do in one season.

There are loads of plans out there and I believe 220 do a begineers guide with a plan in. It was on the front page of the web site when I started. I expect triathlon is som popular now that it costs something.

If you are doing a swim session once a week and a run and a bike then you need to make sure you do at least the tri distances.
    I suggest you look at brick sessions which are bike to run sessions. 10k bike 5 k run straight after each other.

Good luck and enjoy. Where is your sprint in july?
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    yup head to bcttt.com and become part of the massive.
  • vix1987vix1987 Posts: 11
    Thanks for that peeps.. ill check it out..

Im doing the womens shockabsorber sprint in windsor... i was feeling pretty confident at the beginning of the year but i think because i keep reading so much about tri, i keep feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all!

And im sure everyone has this problem but fitting in sessions after a commute is hard graft! off for more swimming tonight tho

another question then or two...

is it ok to do my first tri on my mountain bike? and is it ok to do some of my bike training in the gym? (its like 75% of my traning at the mo)
  • aoneill69aoneill69 Posts: 206
    loads of folks on here (and BCTTT) did their first tri on a MTB...get it serviced, get some MTB slick tyres and learn to change a puncture, your confidence in riding a bike you know well will get your through better than a bike your not happy with.
    vix1987 wrote:
    Thanks for that peeps.. ill check it out..

Im doing the womens shockabsorber sprint in windsor... i was feeling pretty confident at the beginning of the year but i think because i keep reading so much about tri, i keep feeling a bit overwhelmed by it all!

And im sure everyone has this problem but fitting in sessions after a commute is hard graft! off for more swimming tonight tho

another question then or two...

is it ok to do my first tri on my mountain bike? and is it ok to do some of my bike training in the gym? (its like 75% of my traning at the mo)

Yes you can use your mountain bike! Loads of people do for their first tri.
    As said you could do with putting some slicks which are about £20 each. Learn to fix a opuncture as well.

Can you train in the gym? Yes of course you can but there is no better training than on your own bike. The road is always different due to conditions and weather. Its also about being familiar with bike position and riding it.

Hope this helps!
  • Morg007Morg007 Posts: 54
    Conehead wrote:
    and carbon, don't forget the carbon.
    well Conehead... there are 92 elements that make up the planet we live on and we as humans are made from the "carbon" element.... this to me shows that if there is a god, he is obviously a triathlete
    Morg007 wrote:
    [quote="Conehead":qy8qmsq2]and carbon, don't forget the carbon.
    well Conehead... there are 92 elements that make up the planet we live on and we as humans are made from the "carbon" element.... this to me shows that if there is a god, he is obviously a triathlete [/quote:qy8qmsq2]

Exit right Prof Brian Cox!!LOL