Home Chat General Chat

IRONMAN What do you get for your buck?

I was thinking of going long next year and was browsing the possibilities. I was amazed to see the £300+ prices for these events.

Now this is not intended as an opening gambit for a thread on the inflated price of race entries, that has, I'm sure, been done many times over.

I am interested from those who have dome a IM, what do you get hospitality, customer service and in your goody bag for these events?

Regards, Derek.

Comments

• andissandiss Posts: 82
    You get to suffer for up to 17hours

Well to save money the option would be to do an non WTC event, like the challenge series or the country local run ones like the Kalmar Tri in Sweden or in Ireland a new event sprung up called Hardman which entry fee is only £100.

But the tri diehards will prob say that you have ONLY done a full distance tri and can not call yourself an Ironman...
  • Yeah I had considered a non IM event and the middle distance events I have entered have been non IM. I was hoping that someone would say - At IM events you get this, this and that - which would make the money seem more justified.

I was not really looking for options to save money, more an understanding of what you get for the price. However if it is just the prestige of the brand than I might look elsewhere.
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Aside from the "branding" issue I suppose its down to scenary more than anything?

Bolton vs Austria or Florida?

However I think Bolton will possibly have better rucksacks to give to entrants tho.

I see your dilemma.
  • Was thinking Wales or if going to the continent Switzerland or France. The idea of doing laps around Bolton holds little appeal.
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    derekqueenan wrote:
    Was thinking Wales or if going to the continent Switzerland or France. The idea of doing laps around Bolton holds little appeal.
    Wales has closed roads for the event And most of the bike's in a national park... but it's hilly!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    you get the brand. The support and the organisation - I did switzerland last year and it was super smooth. There was a ton of aid stations plenty of supplies at them, there were also lots of stalls at the expo (costly on my credit card...) also the bike doctor, after race massage, food drink etc. goody bag had some ok stuff in but nothing amazing. Oh and you get to be out there, suffering, racing and generally making it up as you go along for up to 17 hours! oh and the pasta party and post race awards thing too...i didn't go to either but thats because i was too lazy
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I also did IMCH and yes I thoroughly enoyed it and am glad I did it. Very well organised, great scenery, great crowds, great location.

Having said that IM charge you for just about everything and I did end up feeling like my wallet had been ransacked (and it had been). Every direction you turn you get charged and £30 for a 10 min race transfer was the icing on the cake.

I loved every minute and would thoroughly recommend it. Once! I won't be doing another IM branded event and have little understanding why people would do a IM70.3 when there are so many great middle distance races out there for about £70 - £100.

The goody bag wasn't relevant to me (I didn't give a monkeys about it) but if you are looking for an amazing 1 off experience (which will cost you) then I'd highly recommend it.

I'll be sticking to Challenge or other own branded races in future (outlaw, forestman etc).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do but as alluded to above, IM is a brand and as such, you are only an IM when you've done an IM branded race!!!!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    on the cost of the transfer - it was a bit steeep at 30CHF but that was being run by Nirvana i think...although they were great and gave my GAT a free place on the way back to the hotel. Also, if you were that close why use it - not meaning to be argumentative, just seems odd to complain about the cost of a transfer which you had a choice not to use?

Other than that, I can't think of other additional costs from IM - Switzerland is bloody expensive though.
  • I know it's an old thread but I would definitely give a shout out to Hardman in Kerry, Ireland. Did it last year as my first long distance. Epic. And great value for money. Personally the goodie bag is not an issue though for what it's worth, the hoodie top is my favourite thing to wear since. Great scenery, Irish hospitality, all the Guinness you can drink (and might need to, afterwards). I don't need a logo to let me know I did it, either.