Home Buy Triathlon Gear

Full carbon bikes for < £1000

Hi there,

Everything is in the subject! Do you know any full carbon bikes at less than £1000?
If not, whats the minimum amount I'd need to spend to get one?
Is there any real advantage to get a full carbon bike CHEAP compared to a high end aluminium bike?

Cheers for your advice!

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Cheap carbon - blasphemy...

High end Alu will nail a cheap carbon bike.... its cheap for a reason. Save your money get an expensive carbon bike.
  • Have a look at Planet X, just ordered a bike from them and it is fantastic.

Whilst I agree to an extent with Shadowone, there are bargains out there and everyone will have a favourite!!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    TP

I was poking fun. PX bikes are decent but i stand by the principle to build the bike around the frame. A good quality carbon bike will nail an alu bike but a shit carbon one will be hammered by an alu... but all depends on the rider as well.

Boardman bikes as well - decent bikes and is good enough for Brownlee
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Hmmmmm, how would my bike fit in - ali front triangle with carbon rear triangle ????

Are you after a road bike or a TT bike?

Pat ;-)
  • Boardman- if you can find a bad r/v I would like to see it. Or Planet X - amazing value
  • jcs356jcs356 Posts: 37
    Keep your eyes peeled - there are some bargains out there.

I got a 2010 QR Seduza 'ex demo' from Wiggle for a couple of quid over £1k at Xmas time. As you probably know Wiggle do their 30 day trial on any bike, but they have to sell the ones returned, which they normally do via their price drop. I was very happy with the bike when it turned up. Apart from a tiny bit of dirt on the tyres, you couldn't see it had been ridden. So a £2200 bike for £1k
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I got a bargin Argon on ebay the other day! £999 pound frame which came built as a great gike!

the guy in the shop when I picked it up reckons it was £1300 worth. It was an exdisplay from epic cycles on ebay1
  • tami wrote:
    Hi there,

Everything is in the subject! Do you know any full carbon bikes at less than £1000?
    If not, whats the minimum amount I'd need to spend to get one?
    Is there any real advantage to get a full carbon bike CHEAP compared to a high end aluminium bike?

Cheers for your advice!
    I've got a few friends that have PX's as they call Planet X bikes and they thing they are awesome. Probably can't go past them I recon....
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/

I'm assuming its not your first bike? If it is, they say you shouldn't get Carbon for your first bike, because it will become your winter bike/ commuter etc...