Home Chat General Chat

Planet X ?

I am currently looking to buy a time trial bike. Was looking at the PX Exocet the other night. Obviously it has good components, is the frame any good ? Or am i better off buying a bike with a good frame and upgrading the components over time. Have been looking at the Cannondale Slice 105, which is nearly the same price. Am i just being a brand snob ?

Comments

• If you buy a Planet X you may have to tie a baloon to it to find it in T1.

There are tons at every race but they must be doing something right - meant to be an OK bike.

Slice is a very good buy.
  • I have a Planet X Exocet and took it out for its maiden voyage last weekend.

I love the bike and the help from Ian Cammish and Rob were brilliant, if you do opt for the Planet X then don't be afraid to ask daft questions and loads of them, they are willing to help in any way they can..

Good luck with whatever you buy.

Tri Pencil
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I have no experience with Planet X - plenty folks seem to buy them so they must doing something right but I can't help wondering why PX?

How much is the Exocet going to cost?? Say £2k approx depending on the set-up? If I was spending £2k then I would be thinking along the lines not of PX but elsewhere.... can't always help wonder what they have sacrificed in frame quality so that they can spec the bike better.....

just my opinion..
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    I ordered the 101/83 wheelset from PX. Overall i think their service is great, however I sent the wheels back as I wasn't impressed with the hubs. Refund came through with no hassle.

My view, for what it isn't worth, is PX do great value for the money, but as S11 says, you gets what you pays for, so something is sacrificed somewhere.
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Perhaps "other" brands are overpriced? :roll:
    Ask if you can pay more so it ticks the proper triathlon bike box.

Opt for the PX with Durace and its still errr......Durace?. Quality of the frame, forks and rest of their carbon is as good as any other bike I've seen. 82/101 wheels...a steal at £400.

No middle men - no nonsense bikes.

Suspicious lot aint ya
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    There are plenty of PX bikes and kit sold, if they were not worth the money there would be plenty of complaints. At my level there is little difference between bike A with DA setup and bike B with DA setup, there may be preferences in fit but for me a humble mortal if a bike is halfway decent the deciding factor is colour scheme and price.

I have a set of PX R50 wheels and I am very pleased with them, soak up the road buzz nicely and seem to do the biz. I found them very helpful and responded promptly to any queries and also with a degree of humanity rather than stock responses.
  • I love the doubters of cheaper brands but i cannot understand
    the logic used....

If you want to spend shed loads on a "proper" brand then go ahead
    I'm sure you'll be much quicker than me cos its such a good brand!!

Triathletes are the worst brand snobs i know.
    I have ridden the cannondale slice, spesh transition and my
    Exocet. I bought the Exocet cos it was the best to ride and far far
    better specced.

Just my opinion.....

Tri Pencil
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    Quitter wrote:

Suspicious lot aint ya
    i'm a cynical beggar, and generally figure that if something is too good to be true then it probably is...

even so, if i was in the market for some 50s or 80/101s on a limited budget (as it usually is :roll:) then i'd probably struggle to go somewhere other than px. i'm sure they're not the lightest, or most technologically advanced, or sexiest to look at, but for the money they are certainly good value.
    ris wrote:
    [quote="Quitter":10mcxy0o]
    Suspicious lot aint ya
    i'm a cynical beggar, and generally figure that if something is too good to be true then it probably is...

even so, if i was in the market for some 50s or 80/101s on a limited budget (as it usually is :roll:) then i'd probably struggle to go somewhere other than px. i'm sure they're not the lightest, or most technologically advanced, or sexiest to look at, but for the money they are certainly good value.[/quote:10mcxy0o]

I,m guessing PX as a company cannot do the level of R&D that say Felt,Specialized etc do so their products lack the extra polish and you may get the occasionl flaw.

For balance I'll suggest Ribble and Kinetic One are a similar niche.
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    Just to point out, there's no snobbery from me, I ride a Carrerra

However the PX wheels I got had more friction in the hubs than other wheels I've had, and def didn't have the aerodynamic profile of the Hed wheels I've now got. A perfect example of why it's sometimes better to pay a little more for a "name", as noted before it's research, and build as well as the name (Not that they guarantee I'll be faster mind)
    I kinda wanted to wage in and say this or that but as I said before I have no experience with PX and I am not slagging their bikes off but I always simply wonder about the quality of the frame... thats all.

If I had £2k to spend I sure as hell wouldn't buy a PX tho.....
    shadowone1 wrote:
    I kinda wanted to wage in and say this or that but as I said before I have no experience with PX and I am not slagging their bikes off but I always simply wonder about the quality of the frame... thats all.

If I had £2k to spend I sure as hell wouldn't buy a PX tho.....
    ........it would be a........? :roll:
  • [img:2mn6xrt2]http://i55.tinypic.com/30c9dgw.jpg[/img:2mn6xrt2]

A 2011 Orbea Ordu

And yes I have taken the plunge - pick her up on the 1st from Bridgtown Cycles

Get in.

Watch out for me going exactly the same speed as on my road bike..... But I'll look good doing it
    ........it would be a........?

Such ignorance....

Yes Ben - that is a much nicer bike than a PX...
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    shadowone1 wrote:
    ........it would be a........?

Such ignorance....

Yes Ben - that is a much nicer bike than a PX...
    How much was it though?
  • Yea ok........ I got a good deal from Mike.......
    willieverfinish wrote:
    Yea ok........ I got a good deal from Mike.......
    Not everyone is that lucky...or local to the centre of the universe that is Bridgetown Cycles

Its a beauty tho and any subsequent poor performances can be put down to....

"this is nt actually my A race for the year/got my nutrition wrong/I think my chip has recorded someone else times."
    who says you need to be local to Btown cycles... I'm 4.5hrs away and still make the pilgrimmage.

Possibly hence why I have a speed concept...
  • Quitter - if you feel the need to pay over the odds for a lesser bike then that's up to you.

I get on with the ethos of B'Town. I don't need to go on again about the levels of service they give their customers. Its my hard earned wedge and I'll happily sit in the car for 4 hrs and pay £50 in fuel, eat lunch out, buy some extras in the shop and still come away with u rivalled levels of customer service and a bike that fits - most of us couldn't size up a duvet properly let alone a bike - then Im a happy man.
    Easy there fella!
    I,m all for supporting those that support others. Perhaps the trips to ANY preferred bike shop could be made longer and therefore more satisfying by setting off in the opposite direction?

And like I said before good luck with the bike.

BTW I nearly bought the Exocet.....but got a good deal (in that it was cheaper)on a Felt B2
  • Felt bikes are ace.Very well made.

I was very tempted by one but plumped for the Ordu instead. Last year I was all for getting a D6 but for some reason I went off it.

Where did you get it from ?
    Saddleback the distributors via EBay.
    Going by the info stickers that were on the bike I'd say it was a return from the German market.

TBH the only reason went for the Felt is I just love the way they have done the Bayonet front end. Similar to Look but without the price tag. Far more important tho is that its in team colours

A recent Etap Du Dales route ride has shown my 11kg alu framed Allez needs replacing after trying a 7.2kg Trek! So perhaps I'll start a thread about PX Nanolights. Far easier than doing more training.
    (Yes I weighed the bikes )
  • Quitter - if you feel the need to pay over the odds for a lesser bike then that's up to you.

Sorry, had to write as it was bugging me. The above quote is a knob post. You know who you are!
    I paid £2000 for my Exocet and I am more than happy. It isn't a lesser bike, you may well be pleased with your bike but I bet it wasn't what I paid for mine and it was almost certainly made in the far east the same as my frame.

Now if you were buying a top of the range SC then I would accept your post as they are made in USA but I cannot just accept what you say as I feel you are a brand snob and ill informed.

Just my opinion but I am fed up of people having a go at a company cos they don't pay pro's to ride their brand and then get suckers to pay more for the privilige!

Tri Pencil
  • Er

I have planet x wheels so how can I possibly be a brand snob?

I just like to get bang for my buck, that's all I'm saying - if you feel the need to be aggressive and rude then more fool you pal.

Oh I don't think Orbea make bikes in the far east?

This could get tit for tat so I'll leave it there I think
  • willieverfinish wrote:
    Er

I have planet x wheels so how can I possibly be a brand snob?

I just like to get bang for my buck, that's all I'm saying - if you feel the need to be aggressive and rude then more fool you pal.

Oh I don't think Orbea make bikes in the far east?

This could get tit for tat so I'll leave it there I think
    Not sure i was being aggressive pal. What i wss trying to say
    and i'll try to be more eloquent was that perhaps making
    statements like you did is perhaps rude to those who own
    Planet X or any other bike you deem lesser!

Tit for tat here endeth...