Home Chat General Chat

my new bike

thought i'd share my new bike for the new season!!!
hope you all like lol

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    looks nice - shouldve got the pro lite wheels to match the frame (but then i'm a bit of a girl in that everything has to match (i have red Look pedals to match my red and black look bike... )

One question - how many spacers under the bars? they look massively above the frame - is it the right size frame (given the spaces and height of the saddle)?

Ok that was 2 questions...
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I'm in the same boat as MD....
    Looks good but that is some amount of spacers.... are you sure you got the correct size of frame?
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    looks nice dude!
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Who's a happy bunny then? Happpy racing

Spacers could be because of long legs and short torso, arm pads should not be more than 50mm below seat height otherwise you get hip compression so set up is probably fine and dandy for Fire Tri.

Well done - have you named your steed yet? Or will that be born from battle?
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    cheers for the comments guys
    i knew i'd get a few about the size
    spoke to the guys at chain reaction about frame sizing and they said about some formula for inside leg size to frame size
    according to it i should be able to fit a 57
    went with them on the 57
    theres 70mm of spacers under the actual stem so not as bad as it looks!
    I mainly do sprints with the odd olympic dist thrown in at the moment,
    I'm fairly long generally so seat is the right height for my legs
    but you got me worried cos theres 100mm between saddle and pad height
    definitely not over stretching to get down on the bars
    but might not be getting 100% power out of my legs if i'm compressing my hips!???
    Feels comfy enuf

would a 2 cm frame difference make that much difference?
  • 50mm / hip compression ?!?!?

Really ? Who told you that - I'm interested cos 5cm is nothing - and I'm unsure as to what hip compression is.

Did you get told that on a bike fit?

Fire Tri
    spoke to the guys at chain reaction about frame sizing and they said about some formula for inside leg size to frame size
    They have fed you a line there my friend and a bullshit one at that. So what if like me you have a 34 inside leg but a really short torso... They would recommend a large frame cos of my lanky legs but i would be over stretching for the bars.... Cue uber back problems. Instead what they should have done advised you properly..... For example being 6ft 3 I actually ride a 57cm road and TT frame. I just have a bit more of the seat post showing and then the reach is spot on.

I really think they have misadvised you there. GET A BIKE FIT asap or you may hurt yourself .

I don't think the hop compression thing has any legs TBH but as I said I am interested to see what that's all about. Nice ride though but all those spacers ?!? I'm not sure you need them
    hey
    zacnici mentioned it on this thread bit higher up
    saying the difference between saddle and arm pad height should be no more than 50mm
    mines 100mm
    length from saddle to pads and shifters feels fine not cramped or stretched
  • Fire tri

Can you post a pic of you on the bike then we can comment further.

Interesting stuff this - we generally rock up to a shop or buy online with little or no idea about how to size ourselves properly.
    i will try and get one done
    static or riding?
    Willieverfinish are you the fireman?
  • Cool

On the bike on the aero bars

I'm a paramedic.
    pic riding in motion or just sat against a wall lol
    u going vue tri?
  • Static is fine

Nope - can't get the leave
    ah right, thought you were going!!!
    will try and do a pic,
    theres not that much spacers as the bars and the top part with the stem is in one so only 70 mm of spacers altogether.
    not as aero i know with em on
    well heres me on the bike
    Oops sorry, pulled off a wrong figure from my little stash of stats re armrest drop

The calc I should have put on is:
    D= distance in cm from BB to top of seat
    so armrest drop is .005D squared - .2D - 1.5 plus or minus 1.5cm

Cited in various articles e.g.
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/F.I. ... op_25.html

Sorry chaps
    zacnici
    hope you dont think we were having a go at you
    any info/advice is welcome
    with that calculation my bb to saddle is 86cm, so that would make a pad drop of up to 19cm!!!!
    that seems an awful lot????

do i look right in the pics? if i could that means i could get rid of all the spacers at the bottom!!!
    Oh no - no probs I just picked up the wrong figure my my stats n links stash

You look OK to me, knee at its height at arm pad level, angle between spindle, hip and shoulder look about 90deg as does angle of your upper arm with your torso. If you go here:
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... SICS-49575
    then you can look at your body angles.

Re the calc, I think as with most of these things they are guides, the calc may define an 'optimum' but for an individual this may not be appropriate. A lot of these calcs are derived from observation and therefore statistical derivatives. Whilst a big chunk of people may fit within the parameters of the calc there are also a not insignificant number of people who fall outside the parameters.

The upshot is with these things is to try them out and then tweak accordingly. Just like using a satnav really - use as a guide but don't be a slave. Off on tangent I remember going on a detour cos the main road had been closed and came upon a load of Porsches (must have been on a meet) they obvioulsy just followed the satnav without actually looking that the road was just a track, no probs in my Land Rover but an awful lot of expensive fibreglass was left on the track by their spoilers.
    conehead

Cheers for that, does look a tad high when in this pose, I wasnt sure if it was just cos i wasnt actually riding so not actually in totally the right position!!
    dont feel like i'm rocking my hips when riding in this position, but only been out on it four times as been doing more run training for my first half marathon which was this sunday gone,
    damn they're hard lol
  • steve785steve785 Posts: 52
    are you doing horwich tri?? a good tester ps im from black ley
  • Good looking bike

The only thing I would say is your leg shouldn't be as straight as it is.

Looks comfy apart from that and I like Pro Lite stuff ( got some Pro Lite Wheels)
    cheers,
    does look good, wish it was a bit lighter!!!!
    like i say i think leg loks straigher cos not actually riding and propping myself up with my other leg

Steve, not doing horwich this year, was my first ever tri last year, and it was very hard, i'm no runner!!!!
    was hoping to, but doing wilmslow the week after so dont wanna wear myself out too much!!!!

I'm at king street on blues
  • Nice bike. Where are you firefighters from? Im based in Loughborough, Leicestershire. Holding our fire service race on 7th Aug in Desford, Leics if you are interested. Leics and East Mids Championships.
    http://www.racetime-events.co.uk
    Cheers
    I'm from greater manchester fire service
    You doing the VUE emergency services tri?