Home Chat General Chat

AERO WHEELS

Hi,

I have doing triathlon for nearly 5 years. This year I have improved my PB's considering that I am riding with a standard wheels (Mavic Aksium). My bike is Scott CR1

I think now it is time for updating to aero wheels. I have looking different options but at the moment there is so many make and models that I can not get anything clear. I like the zipp 404. I am 77 kg and 184 cm. I have reading so many good reviews about the zipp but his durability and frequent service putt me off.

My three options are:
1. SRAM s60 Front / SRAM s80 rear clincher: Weight 2090 grams. Price 950£
2. SRAM S60 Front and rear clincher: Weight 1850 grams. Price 850£
3. Zipp 404 Tubular 2009 (full carbon): Weight 1250 grams. Price 1250£ on sale, it look like a very good offer.

I really like the zipp 404 but I am very worry for problems I may have and I do not know if I am to heavy for the zipps.
I will use the wheels on races only no for training. I am planing to do Triathlon alpe due'z so I was looking for something light and aero. But main races will be on flat with very little hills.

Please could you put my mind in rest in relation to SRAM or ZIPP. I can not make a clear decision.

If you have any other ideas like reynolds or hed please make some coments.

Comments

• hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Have a look at fast forward, far better priced than Zipp and in my opinion just as good.

www.ffwdwheels.com

If you buy direct from Holland then mention that Jason Walkley referred you....

You can get them from over here but sometimes there can be a delay in shops getting them in, but if you go direct you should have them made to order within a week usually.

Excellent wheels. I run their F4R Clinchers, Disc and F5R front, and ill be looking to add an F9R Rear and 3 spoke front this season
  • TesseractTesseract Posts: 280
    I did a lot of reading on the SRAM s-wheels, they look pretty good, heavier than Zipp label, but as they're the same company probably have a high percentage of the same qualities.

I really don't think your weight will be an issue for the 404s, again from forums I think the previous problems around durability have been resolved.

The FastForward wheels are good as well. (and as Hussler says more sensibly priced than Zipp).

However, just to further confuse you, I went for Hed - arguably as much research as Zipp, same torodial (or however you spell it) shape, lighter than the SRAMs, wider rim to improve air flow over the tyres, and around the same price point.

TBH, most wheels around that pricepoint will be good though, so just go for the brand/ style/ colour you like!!
  • Hold on ..... Hold on

Don't forget Planet X - we wouldn't want to be seen as a brand snob now.

I've got planet X and pro lite 50 tubs and they suit my ability fine. I think Zipps are overpriced myself.

It boils down to budget - work out what you can afford and what your willing to spend, clinchers or tubs ?

Dont forget to add the cost of the tubs for example to the budget as they can be £80 each, tub tape, inner tubes etc etc.

Don't forget whatever you get to post a pic of them on your bike. Happy shopping
  • Ps -77kg is not too heavy. Your waif like.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Have a look at fast forward, far better priced than Zipp and in my opinion just as good.

www.ffwdwheels.com

If you buy direct from Holland then mention that Jason Walkley referred you....

You can get them from over here but sometimes there can be a delay in shops getting them in, but if you go direct you should have them made to order within a week usually.

Excellent wheels. I run their F4R Clinchers, Disc and F5R front, and ill be looking to add an F9R Rear and 3 spoke front this season
    FFWD main UK distributor - Paligap, are crap. I had a FFWD disc on order from them, 5-6mths later - still no disc. So I rammed FFWD wheels right up their arse and bought myself a set of Reynolds. Reynolds Element Disc with SVD66mm front. Take delivery of them tomorrow.

FFWD are good wheels and the only reason I don't have them anymore is due to Paligap. If you can buy them direct then I would. Avoid Paligap like the plague, their treatment of my order was a total shambles.

Is their any noticable difference between the FFWD and Reynlds - won't know. But the Reynolds look fecking brilliant.... as did the FFWD.

Also take stock of what Ben says - PX Wheels - although some don't like the hubs on them. Not sure who they are supplied by.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Bear in mind most PX wheels are 1/2 the price of the ones the OP has asked about. For an AGer how noticable would the performance difference between PX wheels and Zipp, HED etc really be?

I can't help thinking as with bikes generally you will get into diminishing returns quite quickly.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Jules - not quite. Having had some experience in the budget brand wheels the overall quality of the wheel build is noticable. the carbon flex quite a bit more with the budget wheels than it does with the more expensive brands (in my opinion). However, I've not used PX wheels but some peeps have issues with the quality of the hubs. You can def see where the costs have been cut with cheaper wheels when in comparison to "higher quality" wheels.

Again is a much a choice of personal preference as well.

Performance wise - I would have more comfort with a sturdier wheels but there prob is little gain/ difference between the two.
    You're maybe thinking of my comments, as I'd ordered some PX wheels, but sent them back. They didn't stand up to my DA test (basically I take my old DA hubbed wheels as the benchmark for rollability). I'd have to say I didn't like the look either, but that's just me. Structurally they seemed sound, and the PX service was great.

All of that is just me being picky probably, as I didn't even ride them, so a lot of people would say I can't comment ! If I'd ridden them, would have have seen a difference from my Hed wheels? Who knows. But I would have known, and the placebo affect is immense! I think I'm on better wheels so I must be able to go faster so I can go faster.
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Tesseract wrote:
    You're maybe thinking of my comments, as I'd ordered some PX wheels, <edit>
    I,m curious to know how you tested the rollability? Serious question btw...not trying to trap you or owt.

did you move your speed sensor magnet gradually out from the hub to the rim until its weight started to turn the wheel or just give them a spin and time how long they spun?

Again...serious enquiry.

PS i actually use my wheel magnet as a balance weight...but its not like I've ever felt wheel wobble due to out of balance wheels TBH - I,m just wierd.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Whooo!

I didn't realize the PX wheels were that cheap!!

You can get a pair of deep deep section rims for the price of a zipp front 404.

I'm seriously considering them as a first pair of deep section rims
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Quick question,

What would give more advantage

A) PX, deep section rims with cheap components (Hub, etc)
    or
    B) Non-deep section rim with decent components?
    TBH it's probably the cheap deep wheels, but it depends on your speed, and I guess their durability.

The faster you go, the more aerodynamics are the limiting factor (which just shows my whole rollability agrgument is a load of crud!). Rotational efficiency is importnant, just not as much as reducing drag.

Of course if you have to replace wheels repeatedly cos they've broke it could be a false economy, but I reckon you fairly similar chance of breaking a cheap vs expensive wheel.

Quitter - I went for the low tech spin for as long as possible approach, although timing it over several attempts. The front was OK actuallly, but the rear slowed very quickly, so much so I didn't even need to time it, both with and against the freehub. I like the sensor magnet approach though, that sounds much more quantifiable and scientific, although won't rim weight affect results as well that way...actually both ways? heavier rim = more inertia = longer to slow? Or would it work the other way? Oh goody, time to dig out my crappy physics skills...
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Inertia is important (flywheels effect/stored potential energy) but you still have to spin it up in the first place! For me its always been about weight reduction -but as always gains become smaller/more expensive.
    Ahhh the beauty of physics.....was it Sean Kelly or Stephen Roche who said he wanted to be 65kg climbing but 85kg decending?

<Edit>
    Re reading your post I dont think the rim weights will have any real effect on overcoming the friction within the bearings. Perhaps an even simpler test would be adding blu tack or similar to a given point on the rim braking surface until it starts to rotate?

Another consideration is the type of lubrication in the bearings. Lob in a good dollop of EP2 grease and it wont matter how expensive your bearing are.

Tribology innit?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I have the PX R50s which are different to the standard PX 50 sections, not done the bluetac test. must try that out, but I did give the front wheel a spin whilst fitted onto my bike. Held frame with right hand and spun from front brake for just under quarter of the wheel circumference before releasing. Took 4 mins for it to come to a complete halt.

They had just been released when I got them so paid £550 but now £499 - bargain. Weight 1296g (without skewers I think) - Zipp 404s 1267g without skewers. They certainly handle well within my capabilities, nice ride, handled OK in wind and climbed OK.

Will I go any faster on a pair of Zipps costing almost a grand more, possibly but then there are three factors:
    1 I don't have the extra grand, OK I know cost is no justification in triathlon
    2 What is the diminishing return?
    3 Will I look a complete tw#t riding Zipps and then getting lapped by a hybrid bike?

On the plus side they would look really cool on the race photos.
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    thought i'd put my thoughts in

I got some PX 82/101's at the end of last year for use this year, not raced on em yet but they certainly make me go faster.
    i've only been tri ing for a year so would probably see fairly good improvements at first, but i've managed to keep the speed on the bike i had at the end of last year into the start of this year with not a lot of training, and my previous fast times were done on kinetic k1 30mm rims

I think the PX deep rims are good and as a first set ideal

You probably do have to be careful if your a bigger rider i emailed em before i got em
    I'm 6ft 4 and weigh 95kg, they said they would be fine for tt's and tri's but not for any major out of the saddle side to side climbing!!!