Home Chat General Chat

Tri Suit or separates?

I am looking to doing my first triathlon this year and I am also in need of some new kit for using on my road bike so i thought I might as well get tri kit, but the question is do i go for a tri suit or separates, what are your views?

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    You will get several opinions but the basics:

Tri suit, the norm for Sprints and Olympic distance, advantages all in one, streamlined both hyro and aero dynamically, inconvenient for toilet
    Separates, more usually found in longer distance events as you can swap between cycle shorts for bike leg and running shorts for the run if you wish and handier for toilet breaks

If you intend to use on a bike for rides etc suggest cycle shorts and cycle jersey as the chamois on a trisuit/short is literally the thickness of a chamois leather and the top is cut away at the arms. Shorts varying opinions but in this department essentially get what you pay for, cycle jersey you can snap up a bargain under a tenner on ebay, I have two really snazzy ones that both came under a tenner and that included packaging, in fact I think one was just over £5.

So my suggestion:
    Tri suit, under £30 http://startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?s ... P_ID=41230, a few people have these and like them
    Cycle shorts, best you can afford really, Pearl Izumi, Sugoi etc, they will last and be kind to your botty
    Cycle top for a bargain, poss under £5
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CYCLE-S-S-SHIRT-/ ... 4cf60a1a93
    or new and under £10

But having said that it depends on budget and commitment, to do your first tri you can get by with swim cozzy, vest and shorts and then go for the above if you decide to do more, which you will. You needn't spend a lot (heresy did I here someone shout?) but IMHO don't skimp on cycle shorts if you are getting those in addition to your tri gear as buy cheap buy twice and you need to be kind to your botty.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Its a Trisuit for me all the way.

Keeps the buggies in the right place and just feels right for me I suppose.
    I amquite long in the body so a 2 piece leaves a bit of flesh on show link a crop top. If you know what I mean!
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Separates for me.....when warm enough...
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    or new and under £10

But having said that it depends on budget and commitment, to do your first tri you can get by with swim cozzy, vest and shorts and then go for the above if you decide to do more, which you will. You needn't spend a lot (heresy did I here someone shout?) but IMHO don't skimp on cycle shorts if you are getting those in addition to your tri gear as buy cheap buy twice and you need to be kind to your botty
    Zac f4xk thats ugly.
    I think it's rather fetching better than all these 'Team' shirts, my own personal thing - why wear a team shirt when I'm not in the team?

Anyway the point is a cycle shirt does not have to cost £50, both of mine were less than £10 and patient lurking on ebay can get you a decent shirt for not silly money.
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Zacnici wrote:
    Anyway the point is a cycle shirt does not have to cost £50, both of mine were less than £10 and patient lurking on ebay can get you a decent shirt for not silly money.

TWO spendthrift comments in ONE thread......Offical yellow card for Zacnici

Its people like you.....etc etc..... :roll:
    I'm sorry

But I did say - in my defence - that one should spend as much as possible on the shorts, and the spendthrift comments were about cycle gear not triathlon - OK I did suggest the More Mile suit. Suppose I should make amends and suggest that the money saved be used to buy a Speed Concept 9