Home Chat General Chat

Bike tech question

I would love to give my old Tiagra based road bike a new lease of life - it's often difficult to get back onto it when I have been riding my Tri bike....

If I want to upgrade the 3x9 Tiagra gearing with a 2x10 105 transmission, do I need to switch out the shifters i.e. brake leavers too??

Thanks!

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    yup, you'll need new shifters, rear mech, cassette, chain, possibly even chainset and front shifter (well, you'd want them to match). the shifters dictate how much cable is released, which is calibrated against the spacing on the cassette to match the number of sprockets.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I would hazard a guess that yes you do. AIUI the gap between the cogs would be different (as would the number obviuosly) so changing would move either too far, or not far enough leaving you potentially missing gears, being between them and getting that lovely grinding sound etc. So yeah you'll need to change the whole lot*

*don't quote me on that unless it is as justification for new stuff the the WAT, because i don't really know (unless the WAT asks then I do! )
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    thanks guys, damn it!!

Those shifters are the most expensive parts, bar the fame....or so it seems at least.
    So I guess I'll have to make do with the 3x9......of fork out 400 for a full new groupo.
    Or a new bike?

Let me know if anyone here knows a way around this.....thought that the shifters would be switchable.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    if you aren't looking there already, you could keep an eye on the classifieds at places like bikerader (or here, if you want some gucci and office 2010 ) as various bits and pieces often turn up there. you'll need to be patient, though.
  • okenny wrote:
    thanks guys, damn it!!

Those shifters are the most expensive parts, bar the fame....or so it seems at least.
    So I guess I'll have to make do with the 3x9......of fork out 400 for a full new groupo.
    Or a new bike?

Let me know if anyone here knows a way around this.....thought that the shifters would be switchable.
    I've got an order out for a Felt F85... If you shop around and smooth talk some stores you can pick it up for £725. Most road bikes with Tiagra seem to sell for £300+ on ebay...

So if you get something like that, you'd be only out of pocket £25 more than the groupset.

Keep in mind the Felt F85 has microshifters, but looks not bad value for the £700-£850 bracket
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I got a pair of 105 STIs, front and rear derailleurs for a little over £100 on ebay. If you do get the STIs from ebay make sure you get the handlebar clamps as well, they are bloody expensive.

FSA Gossamer chainset I got for £35

The unwanted components can be sold on ebay so the net cost of the upgrade could be less than £100
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Zacnici wrote:
    FSA Gossamer chainset I got for £35

Y'see.......mine works the other way. I,m the guy who SELLS stuff like that for nothing....not deliberately BTW.

Buy high sell low.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Quitter wrote ...

Buy high sell low.
    Ah the triathlon way, yes the same with me as well