Home Chat General Chat

iPhone Triathlon Timing App

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of creating apps for timing of triathlons as I have noticed many spectators (me being one of them) are using the lap timer to get the times for triathletes.
I have created an app for the iPhone that records the time, either in real-time from a spectator or by manually entering the information manually.

This information can then be uploaded to a website where more information can be captured such as distance and comments. there are also areas where you can generate graphs for swimming, cycling and running showing the progress.

I have 2 versions available for the iPhone, the full version that allow the manual capture as well as uploading it to the website, and a lite version that is free that only does the automatic capture.

If you are interested in seeing the app, then head to http://www.tri-timer.co.uk

Comments

• Great idea Gordon but I'd query why I just couldn't use the stopwatch on my i phone?
  • Hi Mate,

Sounds a bit similar to what I have been working on, which is a free site for tracking your progress.

I lists all of the Tris in the UK on a map, that is searchable via date, distance or just location. Which makes finding a tri in your area very easy.

That is coupled with the training section that allows you upload your GPX files/ or create manual sessions that then allows you to track your training data.

The site is http://www.triM8.com
  • willieverfinish wrote:
    Great idea Gordon but I'd query why I just couldn't use the stopwatch on my i phone?
    Not a bad point Willie. Mine is / will be free once fully completed. People will be able to request features that I will develop / work with the tri community to bring to the people. Helping everyone better their progress. Costing nothing, so we can spend more money on bits of carbon that we don't need
  • I find endomondo a great bit of kit. How will yours better it ?

I don't know if you've looked at Endomondo but it's gonna be tough to beat. It's a difficut Market that's for sure.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    one concern i have would be the swimming bit... not sure how well the iphone would pick up gps from inside my wetsuit (i'm guessing that it won't be as easy to put under my swimming cap as my garmin).

is it intended to be carried by the athlete in races - i've heard of race referees getting narky over people browsing on their phones in the transition area over the last year. not trying to put you off, but if this is a race-day system then it may have some hurdles.

as williever says, there are a few training apps out there already (endo being one) and how you stand out from the crowd is what will make it work.
  • ris wrote:
    one concern i have would be the swimming bit... not sure how well the iphone would pick up gps from inside my wetsuit (i'm guessing that it won't be as easy to put under my swimming cap as my garmin).

is it intended to be carried by the athlete in races - i've heard of race referees getting narky over people browsing on their phones in the transition area over the last year. not trying to put you off, but if this is a race-day system then it may have some hurdles.

as williever says, there are a few training apps out there already (endo being one) and how you stand out from the crowd is what will make it work.
    I had a mate doing Brighton that could have used his Iphone on the bike leg, he ended up miles off course after taking a wrong turn...

Know what you guys mean about the competition out there, seems to be an app for everything..!
  • That's his fault for not checking the route. I don't agree with using a phone during a race - there are alot of people who would crash on the bike leg if they had to use a phone - how about simply following the marshalls?

So - will yours better Endomondo ?
  • Chaps,

Tri-Timer is not in competition with Endomondo, or Runkeeper Pro or anything in that line, as the functionality is not the same. It is not designed to be used with the GPS to try and track you position (As this would prove difficult on the Swim leg).

It is purely a way to have a spectator capture the time(and cheering you on) while you are competing or for you to manually capture the time after the event. This data is then stored and can be uploaded to the website where it can be used to track progress.

It is simply a replacement for trying to use a stopwatch or similar and storing the info in a spreadsheet.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    whilst i think that this is a good idea, I do see a couple of flaws... It is no different to a stopwatch in that you manually have to upload the data/route to the site, or choose it from a list (this functionality is no different to many other things available), I can also just check the race results for my time. If a spectator is doing the timing, how do you know they have accurately started and stopped the timer? but the main one for me is, I tend not to take family/friends to races with me, so there won't be a spectator to do the timing for me. Unless that rather nice chap who is wondering around outside transition looking at the lovely bikes rather enviously would be happy to look after my phone and do the timing for me. I tend to log all of my training either with Garmin - which has time, distance, HR, elevation, mile splits, and in there on my wrist/bike as i need it to give me that data when training. Or a simple waterproof watch when racing.

I like the idea, but I'm not certain that it is quite right yet. I just can't imagine many people would race without a watch on - just to give them an idea as to how they are going at the time, and if you are self timing which isn't difficult then i don't see the need for the app. sorry, i know this sounds negative
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I know the initial post is about an app for spectators..

But, remember that mobile phones are not allowed on any part of the course or in transition areas during the race (or when transition opens).

So no Endomondo or other phone apps during a race!
  • Agreed. I'm working on a site for the tri community, free, no cost, gratis, did I mention it's free.. doesn't have any advertising, not a way to make money, a way to help people track their training and perhap end game, bring people together in areas that are looking for training buddies. Not everything should be about making money... That's what work's for.. Tris are for fun... (if you enjoy pain)
    md6 wrote:
    whilst i think that this is a good idea, I do see a couple of flaws... It is no different to a stopwatch in that you manually have to upload the data/route to the site, or choose it from a list (this functionality is no different to many other things available), I can also just check the race results for my time. If a spectator is doing the timing, how do you know they have accurately started and stopped the timer? but the main one for me is, I tend not to take family/friends to races with me, so there won't be a spectator to do the timing for me. Unless that rather nice chap who is wondering around outside transition looking at the lovely bikes rather enviously would be happy to look after my phone and do the timing for me. I tend to log all of my training either with Garmin - which has time, distance, HR, elevation, mile splits, and in there on my wrist/bike as i need it to give me that data when training. Or a simple waterproof watch when racing.

I like the idea, but I'm not certain that it is quite right yet. I just can't imagine many people would race without a watch on - just to give them an idea as to how they are going at the time, and if you are self timing which isn't difficult then i don't see the need for the app. sorry, i know this sounds negative