Home Chat General Chat

Happened again!

I got another flat on the trainer last night, seems to happen every few weeks - VERY annoying.
I have tried varying pressure in the tyre and have made sure that the tyre and rim are fine and clean.
Do any of you have this annoying problem?
Which tube make do you use for the turbo?

I am using a blue TACX trainer tyre....on a TACX Flow.

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Doubtful its the tube tbh..

I've got the Tacx Flow as well and never had a flat on the turbo. In fact its been yonks since I had a flat with my clinchers. I'm running Panaracer Winter Tyres with Continental tubes. Pumped to 100psi.

Have you checked the tyre for debris?

Not that I think this should matter but do you calibrate the turbo before using it?
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    I thoroughly checked the tyre and wheel before fixing the last puncture....looked all good.
    I was wondering if heat would be causing the tube to burst....maybe I'll try some Conti tubes.
    I am currently using tubes from Schwalbe.
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Are they "pinch flats" or do you train in the greenhouse with cactus plants?
    Do you have a cat or is the Missus sabotaging your training?

Seems weird tbh!!
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    okenny wrote:
    I thoroughly checked the tyre and wheel before fixing the last puncture....looked all good.
    I was wondering if heat would be causing the tube to burst....maybe I'll try some Conti tubes.
    I am currently using tubes from Schwalbe.
    Heat would cause a blowout as opposed to a puncture. Increased heat -increases pressure kaboom!

When you repair the tube what do find in the tyre that causes it if anything?
    Really flex the tyre when you inspect it as thorns can get buried inside the carcass and be hidden...until you lob in 100 psi to push against it.
  • I had the same problem a couple of years ago, spoke to the guys at my lbs and they told me to check the valve was seated correctly before each session, as the force applied to the tyre pulls it against the rim. Haven't had a puncture since. Hope this helps.
  • How much force do you set your tyre against the turbo ? Does the tyre deform loads when you cl k the turbo in place ?

Very odd
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Is the puncture in the same place each time?
    Put new rim tape in the wheel.
    It could be the actual wheel rather than the tyre,
  • pippip Posts: 170
    I've got some shwalbe ultremo R1's and they kept puncturing so i changed them.I did a full inspection of the tyre and found a tiny,tiny piece of glass in the tyre.So all i can suggest is a proper and thorough inspection of the inside of the tyre
    PS Prior to me changing tyres i just did a quick inspection but this was obviously not good enough
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    I regulary use my Tacx Flow with out any problems.
    I have Schwalbe Lugano tyres on my winter/ turbo bike, cheap and cheerful at only £10 from wiggle.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-lugano-road-tyre/

I cant see the inner tubes being the problem, have you used a different tyre to see how that goes?
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Continental trainer tyre for me, no issues so far. But best bet is to ditch the turbo, awful things.