Home Chat General Chat

This month's magazine question: superstitions

Afternoon all

Firstly, hope the new measures to combat the proliferation of spam is paying off. Apologies that they've infected our forum so prevalently over the past few months.

In other news, we're after your thoughts/comments/feedback for this month's magazine question. What we'd like to find out from our active and intelligent (and no doubt handsome/attractive) audience is…

Have you any triathlon training/racing superstitions?

Being a cynical devil, I have no superstitions. Though our art ed finds it's extremely bad luck if he can see the bottom of a red wine bottle come 10pm.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers
James

Comments

• XfmgirlXfmgirl Posts: 1
    Oh yeah... I'm religious about my food before a race - it's got to be pasta... preferably tortellini carbonara with lots of fresh ground black pepper and lots of parmesan cheese. Anything else, and it's a bad start...

I also check my bike through 3 times and that my helmet is unclipped - but that might be OCD.
  • OtbotOtbot Posts: 1
    I complain about everything before a race - health, fitness, ability, taper, gear etc etc. Then when the race actually starts I feel commensurately loads better. Weird reverse psychology, I know.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Yes, I have to have at least 1 beer the night before and i have to have a nice cool shower before bed, it helps stop me getting too hot and restless.

i think the art ed has it wrong, should be white not red then they'd be fine
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    md6 - you are forgetting that red is always faster/better in tri. if only they had a black carbon wine bottle...

i don't really have any superstitions, other than playing some encouraging motivating music before i race (last year it was the rapture "woo alright yeah uh huh!"), and scarfing down some redbull 10mins before the off.

whatever and wherever the race though, i always, always, do a small, mid-pee, fart.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Would that be obligatory, Ris?

I don't have superstititions. But do have some rituals. Although not as many as I would have thought as each event tends to be different so requires different preparation. It is all about being able to get kit ready and in the right place while under pre race stress

Nothing worse than realising in that you've left your bike or run shoes or helmet behind. So a checklist with packing the night before, then another check in the morning then another check in the car. Not quite OCD.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Triple checking the race date and start time the night before.Turning up on the wrong day is a waste of time,money and leave entitlement.....speaking from experience.
  • vybermanvyberman Posts: 28
    I dont like going anti clockwise!

Its something from mountain biking! But for a few years if we attempted a loop anti clockwise, it would always end badly. Riders with broken wrists, ribs, and so on. So we started riding clockwise and we rarely have difficulties now!

Although we have also started leaving the bloke who kept falling off his bike and breaking stuff at home...so maybe I should factor that in!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Back on the thread!

Never wear an event t-shirt before you have completed the event. Bad luck from the tri gods is all you will get itf you do!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Since I never sleep the night before a big race then I like to get really pumped up by watching a good dvd...

usually find a good rocky film does the trick....
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I didn't think I was superstitious until I read this, but now I think I might have OCD about Tri.
    vyberman wrote:
    I dont like going anti clockwise!
    That's the last time I admit that in public a few days before a race. Just got my email about Mallory Park on Monday.
    Quote: If you've raced before at Mallory Park, please note that this year the run course will be anti-clockwise

Going that way round is all wrong, it unwinds power! Like when you put too much sugar in tea and you unsweeten it by stirring it backwards!
  • Like when you put too much sugar in tea and you unsweeten it by stirring it backwards!
    That is brilliant

And you are mental
    And there was me thinking I was a normalist!
  • Denness88Denness88 Posts: 2
    I always watch al pacino's speech from Any Given Sunday before a race, gets me pumped (thats not to say if i don't watch it i think i'll be unlucky in the race).
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I always feel faster in my (ageing) gel Forsters, is that superstitious? Thats it..perhaps I need to acquire some..
  • gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    Not really superstitious, but I have to go through my kit list at least three times to make sure I have everything... maybe that just makes me forgetful..