Home Chat General Chat

Bike Tyres

Looking for some advice on road bike tyres.
What would you recommend for a good all round clincher tyre for training, sportives and racing?
Would probably err on the side of punture resistance and good cornering grip over pure weight.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

L.

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    you'll probably have to sacrifice something if you are after a tyre that can take the training miles as well as be fast for racing. i quite like conti gp4000s's, they have a good reputation and roll well. they might struggle a touch with the training load though. i have some gp 4seasons on my training wheels and they've been excellent over the last year - not quite as quick but so far rock solid in terms of training.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    The conty's have a good reputation. Unfort if you want a tyre for training and racing then your going to have to sacrifice some rolling resistance. Good decent puncture protection comes at a price.

I use Panaracer all weather tyres... ultra grippy and massive amount of protection. When using them you can really feel them pull the bike back. I have also used Bontrager All Weathers as well. Same effect...

In the past I had verdenstein fortezza.... good racing tyres but the rubber got little nicks in them with all the little stones on the road so I swtiched to all weather tyres for my road bike
  • Bontrager race x lite's

Love them ( they are red)

Need I say more
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    do they come in tubs Ben?

I'm looking for some good quality red tubs.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Michelin pro race,a recent review said that the pro race 2 was better than the new pro race 3,but I cannot tell the difference.
    Reasonably priced,good puncture resistance,use them for training and racing all seasons,and since they do them in a variety of colours you get to colour coordinate with your frame,what more could a triathlete want than colour coordinated tyres:-)
  • LancsRiderLancsRider Posts: 205
    Agree that Continentals are well worth the money. Currently use 25mm Gatorskins for training and general riding. I am getting about 3,500 to 4,000km out of the rear tyre and twice that from the front. Rode them through the winter on snow and ice with no real problems and have had one slow punture since changing to them 7,000km ago. If I want to go that little bit faster I switch to Conti Chilli Attack force's which are lighter and accelerate better on long climbs but offer marginal gains on the flat.
  • Thanks.
    Was thinking of GP4000s, would seem to fit the bill. Will check out the other suggestions as well now - thanks.

To be honest, my training mileage is pretty low, so wearing them out quickly isn't too much of a worry.

L
  • No shadow / not to my knowledge
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    i reckon the michelin pro race 3's are good
    good puncture resistance when u first get em, after miles of training they wear a bit thin.
    But they are very good rolling wise for speed and grippy for cornering,
    OH
    and they are on offer for 19.99 at decathlon at the moment for the plain black ones, 5 quid off so, quite a bargain
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I also use continentals.

Usually Gatorskins through the winter and GP4000s through summer and racing.

I find they have great puncture resistance and are quick enough. They are very confidence inspiring and having tried a number of different tyre combo's I love them and won't be experimenting any more!
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Specialized Armadillo's for me, have them on all bikes, with no issues. They may be slightly heavier, and therefore slower, but the time lost trying to change a puncture would far outweigh it.