Home Chat General Chat

GPS Watches

Hi,

Looking for some feedback on GPS watches - has anyone used the Timex Ironman Global Trainer or is the Garmin 310 XT the real daddy of the GPS watches. All the reviews I've been reading have left me a little confused so any assistance greatly received.

Thanks

Chief

Comments

• can't say from personal experience, but nike have the gps with tomtom out soon, kind of splashed on it in advance. the fact that it tells your pace was an instant winner for me and 'attaboys' what more could i ask for
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    can't speak for either the 310 or the timex, but i have a forerunner 305 and it's been a great training aid. i've even swum with it (under my hat) and it's done pretty well. i bike and run with it pretty much every day and it's very good.

do you know what you want from it?
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Garmin rules the roost. Not having tried a timex since their first generation, I couldn't comment.

However, garmin is a family of devices. I have a forerunner 405 and an edge 500 for the bike. It is nice to be able to share peripherals. Garmin uses ant+ (not sure about timex) so can be used as displays for other devices - eg a powermeter. So if you suspect that you may grow your gadget collection (as any right thinking triathlete will be bound to do) a garmin is a very good choice.
  • vybermanvyberman Posts: 28
    You're not the only one confused by it all!

I am currently torn between the Addidas mi-coach and a forerunner 305.
    Each tell me they do this, that, and the other, but only in a general kinda way that leaves more questions that I started with!

Questions about the forerunner:
    Does the 305 tell you what pace your running at in real time?
    Would that feature have in the current and average settings?
    It says it remembers your heart rate and pace throughout a particular route, then tells you when you're faster or slower on subsequent runs. Does that comparison take place in real time as you run? or is it something you need to do when you get home to your PC ?
    Ris, when you wore your 305 under your hat, was that with the heart rate monitor working too? (that would be handy)

And about the adidas?
    Now I am right in thinking this isn't GPS enabled? Its just a heart rate monitor with ipod integration, right?
    I like to train with my ipod, so obviously something that can plug into it and update me vie my ear phones is attractive.
    But can the mi-coach be set up for sprint intervals and other stuff like that in the same way the garmin can. Or does it purely operate between steady heart rate zones and updates from the foot sensor?

Is it just a toss up between ipod integration, or GPS? Or do the features of one clearly outweigh the other?
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Garmin 305:
    Yes you can get current pace, slight lag - seconds - but unless you are constantly chnaging virtually on every foot fall is no real problem for me.
    Also can display current, average and fastest pace info, info display can be customised to show .

I have the HRM and also cadence sensor.

I find the battery lasts 12 hours easily
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    vyberman wrote:

Questions about the forerunner:
    Does the 305 tell you what pace your running at in real time?
    Would that feature have in the current and average settings?
    It says it remembers your heart rate and pace throughout a particular route, then tells you when you're faster or slower on subsequent runs. Does that comparison take place in real time as you run? or is it something you need to do when you get home to your PC ?
    Ris, when you wore your 305 under your hat, was that with the heart rate monitor working too? (that would be handy)
    the garmin gives you running pace in real time, from the gps, and reports it in the min/mi format (or min/km). you can collect the average pace at the end easily enough, even without uploading the data to the computer.
    you can set a virtual partner for a particular route and it will compare your current performance to it (speed, hr etc). not used this myself though as i tend to do my comparison stuff at the computer after the workout.

the 305 can't collect hr data from swimming the strap can't transmit through the water. you get gps data but it is pretty wacky (bcttt members on endomondo are doing some open water stuff with their gps and the results are fantastic - if a bit weird on distance!).

personally, i'd go for the hrm and gps combination, rather than ipod integration, but then i don't train to music. the 305 can be used on the bike (and swim, ish) and you can get cadence sensors for bike and running for it. ipod integration seems a bit gimmicky to me, rather than being a proper training aid.
  • vybermanvyberman Posts: 28
    Thanks guys!

I think the desicsion is made...
    305 wins!
    Shame though because I do like running to the crystal method. I guess I can always turn it down a touch to hear the beeps from the 305!

The virtual partner thing. Is it possible to have your PB from a particular route as that partner? I am crap at racing other folk, even imaginary digital ones! But I am fairly certain I can beat myself (that's how most days start )
  • Yep - you can save any of your previous runs / bikes into the route menu and race yourself in the form of the Virtual Partner. Alternatively, you can set the VP to a certain pace and race that if you are trying to get inside a time. I have the Forerunner 405 & wouldnt be without it - more features than most could possibly use but a great way to keep track of your progress (or lack of.... )
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Had a 310XT, but ripped the crappy rubber strap off whilst removing my wetsuit going into T1, so it's somewhere in a field near Eastnor Castle. Got a Timex Global Trainer now, can't fault it.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    310XT. I love it. Timex Global is like a frikkin satellite dish! (Even more than the 310 XT)

You can also get bike mounts for your Garmin, so easy transitions too.