Home Chat General Chat

Newbie help !!!!!

Hiya people,

I wondered if anyone out there would be able to answer a couple questions and give me some advice/help. Im 22 year male who is a student ( buget not great lol ), this year im doing the london to brighton bike ride, first bike ride that I've dont thats going to be some distance, so I be training for that but after entering myself into the bike ride, Ive decicded i would love to do the london triathlon next year, so im getting the practice in now, looking at local events to do etc etc.

But this is where i need some help, ive looked at road bikes and their very expensive I know you pay for what you get and stuff, but i was wondering if you do any british triathlon does the bike part have to be done on a road bike or can you use anything bike ?, ive tried to look for the rules regarding bikes and ive had no luck so I would like if anyone can clear this point up for me ? also being on a budget would I be able to get away with doing triathlons on hybrid bike or a trekking bike as you can I tell i dont have much knowledge on this area lol.

Unless anyone knows a good place where I could get a cheap road bike ? and what websites would you suggest for the equipment eg the wetsuits, tri suits etc ?

I think ive covered everything, if any more info need please let me know

Thanks you

Comments

• garyrobertsgaryroberts Posts: 869
    Hi

As I understand it, you can ride whatever bike you like, just as long as it's in good working order and safe. You will need a helmet though, you cannot take part in a triathlon without one. You will also very likely need a wetsuit, which can be expensive, but search for wetsuit hire, or even buy an x-rental one.

Triathlon can be a real burden on your wallet if you want to get everything and keep up with 'the jones', but I think you can do it on a budget, and whats more, if you do it on a budget and train harder than those that dont......you beat them!!!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Hey

Welcome to the forum. Right - Firstly do you have a budget in mind?

When I first took up tri I was on a £350 road bike which I managed to get for £300 as it was an ex demo. However, if you've no money to buy a new bike then what sort of bike do you have?

If you have a mountain bike - then fine. do it on that, however a really good tweak of the bike is to take the wheels off it and switch it to wheels with slick tyres. Hybrids are also fine but again tweaking the tyres to help with rolling resistance is something you might want to consider.

Just to let you know when I did abu dhabi there were people doing the short distance course on mountain bikes and hybrids...

Tri is a friendly sport, you can start off with what you've got/ can manage then work your way up.....
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    What those guys are saying is as always spot on.

The bike you are riging doesnt matter its about getting out there and enjoying it.

Good luck with the london to brighton ride I would love to do that some day.

When I first started my adiction, sorry i meant Triathlon its just become and addioction. I was on a Viking Torino which cost £250 and had steel forks. I still love the bike but its not mine anymore (sob sob) My mate bought it off me and it still turns up to triathlons. I had no other real kit except some goggles and a pair of running shoes. I bought some tru shorts and just put a t-shirt on for the cycle and ride. I also had to buy a helmet as (like Gary says) you must have one.

You will really enjoy your first tri and thats what counts. I am in mu 3 rd season now and still enjoy it as much if not more!

Blinkybaz

P.S - Welcome to the forum!
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    as baz, gaz and s11 have said, as long as it is roadworthy then you can use it (working brakes and gears, that sort of thing). i've seen plenty of shoppers, mountainbikes and hybrids at races and their riders still have a smile on their faces

my first race was on a cheapy road bike, bought for £500 through the cyclescheme, but there's no reason to spend money on road or tri bikes for those first races.

if you do a pool -based tri then you can probably get by without spending too much on other kit (wetsuits, trisuits etc) - it can appear to be an expensive sport, but the reality is that it can be done relatively inexpensively if you don't care how much carbon/specific kit you have.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Linky to British Triathlon Federation Rules is here http://www.britishtriathlon.org/uploads/files/Events/Rules/90615_13%20British%20Triathlon%20Rule%20Book.pdf

As long as your bike complies with the issues raised, then it's useable.
  • I would like to say a big thank you for everyone input on here, it's made it some much easier now and i have a much better understand, thanks for providing the link I must of not looked hard enough .

I know it's a expensive sport cause when I went to a shop this guy was going on and on about but he was showing the top of the range stuff, Im doing the triathlons for my self as there something I've always wanted to do, if I do become really good then yeah I would by better stuff but for now as long as I can get by that's fine by me.

The bike I was using was a mountain bike that I got for free, it's been going well until I decided to really push my self and I don't think the bike to keep up lol so I'll propbly just buy a brand new bike and like u guys said get thinner wheels, I think it's just every time I've seen triathlons everyone has road bikes and I felt kinda the odd one out if I turned up on a mouton bike but after u guys told menu feel much better now

Thank u for the warm welcome, the info and I will posting on here a fair bit and like someone said the addiction will start lol
  • wburnishwburnish Posts: 41
    Hi
    I have just started out and been buying on a budget and there are deals out there. My first race there were plenty of mountain bikes. I bought a road bike Giant for £550. Very comfy for me and did make a big difference.

Be careful if does become addicatce and i have only done one Dualthon so far.

Just enjoy that all I can say, also listern to the adive of teh wise on the forum as they have given me a lot of great adivice
    If you can wait till September(ish) before taking the plunge for a new bike then you will find a lot of bike shops getting rid of 2011 models to make way for 2012... usually with big savings.

Also keep an eye out for Rutland Cycles - they sell a lot of ex demo models. Saw an advert not so long ago for this, good savings as well.

Don't be afraid to haggle either - cash talks....
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I got my argon 18 from ebay. A bike shop called Epic cycles sell there ex demos on there. Really good service and what a shop.
    The frame set was £999 RRP and I got the whole bike for (cough) £400 ish
  • wow u guys got some bargins there havent you, ok I take a look around on ebay and see what their is,

Didnt know thanks for telling about they sell the bikes cheaper around sept time
    Yes they do sell them cheaper and remember hard cash talks. You can easily blag a bargain if you are careful
  • dgkramer88dgkramer88 Posts: 4
    Hey people, just wondered would I need a trisuite ? If so and this goes for the wetsuit, anyone know the cheapest place to get one ?, or is best to rent wetsuits ?