Home Chat General Chat

Tri suit recommendations for Ironman

Hi,

I am in the process of buying every thing I need for Ironman, expensive is a word that springs to mind at present.

With that in mind, I need a tri suit, I was thinking two piece as it's easier to take care of toilet issues. I have found one I like, 2XU Endurance Aero Tri Shorts & 2XU Men's Endurance Aero Tri Singlet. However, this is £67.50 for the shorts and £63 for the top, £130.50 in total

I obviously searched ebay, and not found them any cheaper.

Can anyone recommend anything as good without the price to match?

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I wore a compression top and shorts under my wetsuit, changed into Sugoi cycle shorts on the bike leg, about £70 expensive but worth it with a Saucony tri top that cost £15 on ebay. The top need not be expensive as you don't need fancy swim coatings.

The same top for the run and my existing Nike (or was it the Asics) comp running shorts for the run - say £20. I figured that for me the time lost in T1 and T2 was outweighed by the sheer comfort factor and the performance edge of the specific kit.

And yes Ironman distance logistics are expensive
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    Comfort is King for me an IronMan. 2XU compression shorts and a tri vest during the swim.

Then T1, on with cycle shorts, cycle shirt, arm warmers and gloves.

T2, was T shirt on, and run shorts, all seemed to work OK, and I'll be doing the same this year.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I just wore my club tri suit (although it is the best club and tri suit in the known universe ) and was fine. I think if you have spent enough time in the saddle during training then the chamois of a tri suit should be fine. I didn't struggle at all with the distance - but had spent longer int eh saddle in training than i did on the day, and almost as long on the turbo which i think really helped with the, um, toughening as it were. Slap a bit of creme on before hand and jobs'a good un. But I know there is a lot of opinion that wearing shorts over or complete change is the way to go. And if that's what you want to do then do it. I just don't think it is always necessary.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    TRIumphant wrote:
    Comfort is King for me an IronMan. 2XU compression shorts and a tri vest during the swim.

Then T1, on with cycle shorts, cycle shirt, arm warmers and gloves.

T2, was T shirt on, and run shorts, all seemed to work OK, and I'll be doing the same this year.
    Out of interest Gary... you had the compression shorts and tri vest on the whole time as well?

Just I'm thinking along the same lines.
    I did. Tri vest was used as a base layer, it's cold opp North, and I could regulate temperature by zipping/unzipping cycle shirt. Arm warmers were on initially, but they came off as time went on, and that's where the larger pockets on the shirt came in. Smaller pockets on the tri vest came in useful for essential supplies on the run.

Compression shorts stayed on all day, and then I put a pair of run shorts over the top in T2, purely for dignity, as I wasn't too sure what state I'd be in by the end
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    As the man says "comfort is king"
    Not done one myself but from massive rides the padding needs to be right.

Look into the two piece but also consider all the factors. Belly exposure! Toilet stops! Long distance suits!

At the end of the day its your bottom on the saddle for 6 + hours and you running a stupid distance after the bike. (imo)
    Blinkybaz wrote:
    At the end of the day its your bottom on the saddle for 6 + hours and you running a stupid distance after the bike. (imo)
    New tagline for IronMan me thinks!

Might have to put a link to this thread over on http://www.bcttt.com
  • I too am beginning to buy all the gear for my Iron Man debut. As a runner, I know I want to change at each transition so I can wear gear specific to the discipline because I chaff like a peach! However, what do people wear under their wetsuits if they're doing the whole thing in a trisuit? Thanks in advance for your help.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Er..... You wear a Tri suit under your wetsuit if you want to race in a tri suit !! :roll:

You can't really peel your wetsuit off and be bollock naked !!!
  • chefmarkchefmark Posts: 1
    Don't know if you would be interested in the trisuit on here (tried to put URL up but as a newbie not allowed) but it is the zipvitsport page.

I picked one up at the London Triathlon on Sunday, and with this code: ZVLON TRI you get 25% off anything you buy. It says offer valid for 7 days, but has expiry of 31/08/13 on it. Enjoy
  • Dan684Dan684 Posts: 28
    I recently (last week) bought a Tri suit from Zipvit. It cost me £49.99 (postage was a couple of quid). If i spent over £50 i'd get 3 free gifts, so I added on an energy gel for £1.50. The free gifts were limited choice (either 90 Cod Liver oil caps or free postage). I got 2 x CLO capsules and 1 x free postage. When the parcel arrived a day and a half later (I ordered late at night so missed next day) I was pleasantly surprised to find that they'd also chucked in 90 Chondroitin, GS and MSM caps too.
    Suit is very very good. I opted for a medium and despite it being very hugging (and slightly revealing) I'm well happy with it. Did a run in it yesterday in prep for my first Tri on Sunday (Sprint)and really happy with it.
    Good luck