Home Chat General Chat

Nausea after long runs

Hey all

Recently I've built up to 20mile runs and whilst I feel fine in my legs, I'm feeling really sick for about 24hrs afterwards. I'm stacking carbs the night before and using sis gels and high5 zero during the run. I've got a suspicion the gels might be giving me the stomach churn - anyone else recognize this and have any thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Have you tried not using gels or changing brands ?

Do you use SiS ?
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    I've been suffering from this, interspersed with doses of the trots. Still haven't narrowed the cause down but some of the suggestions when I asked the BCTTT about this were that I probably don't need to be using gels on a long run, take them out in case you bonk but try not to use them. The main thought is it is diet related, although pinpointing the cause is proving tricky. Hope you find the cause of your nausea, it really isn't pleasant.
  • DrwatsonDrwatson Posts: 5
    @willieverfinish - I've tried different brands - namley the lucozade range and the same thing happened.

Because i run with a north face hydration pack someone said it may be restriction of the gut that is causing the discomfort? So it seems it could be one of three things:

1. Using gels when not really required
    2. General diet related problem that flares up after 2+ hrs of running
    3. Gut restriction from hydration pack?
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Are they isotonic ?

Do you take them with water

Try SiS ones instead - they may be better

I tend to use gels during the run - one every 40 mins on the bike and every 30 on the run ( 70.3 and up though) only 1 on the bike leg for OD and none for the run

Works for me
  • Ecosse69Ecosse69 Posts: 4
    It may be worthwhile stacking the carbs 2 days before and to eat normally the day before your long run to allow for metabolizing and storage of fuel. Also are you using too many gels or drinks during the run? try reducing the amount but take a couple of quid with you just in case you need to nick into a shop to get a bottle of water.
  • 101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    I'm doing a marathon in just over a week (Edinburgh, watch me on Sky sports getting in the way of the Ethiopians after having overestimated my finish time ability - oops). I noticed on my first long training run (17 miles) that I felt pretty sick after 13 miles and fairly hellish for the rest of the afternoon after I finished. I've done some 19 mile runs in the meantime and felt pretty good, so I think your nausea might be a combination of things :

1. Just having an actual tummy problem that day
    2. Having a cold/ mucus issues
    3. Gels. I don't really bother with eating anything whilst running, my circulatory system concentrates on my legs, digestive system sort of shuts down as a result and can't really handle much in it. My 19 mile route is 3 laps, when I get back to the car at the end of each lap, I have a little swig from my bottle, and I also have 3 mentos in my pocket, one for halfway round each lap. seems to work OK, I haven't died yet anyway. Gels are a pretty weird thing to try and digest anyway, especially on an already stressed digestive system, try leaving them out and see how you feel.
    4. Eating too late the day before.

I would say in general not to underestimate the stress that long distance running puts on your digestive system, um, the sawdust covered evidence at most finish lines gives you a clue...Get to know your body and do what works for you. Good luck !
  • DrwatsonDrwatson Posts: 5
    101susy thanks a lot - very helpful. I,ve dropped the gels and feel better for it. I'm also running edinburgh so good luck!
  • 101SUSY101SUSY Posts: 53
    Fantastic ! Best of luck, hope we get a nice day for it...