Home Chat General Chat

Entering T2

I've decided that this year i really want to speed up my transition times, and have a query regarding entering T2.

As I approach the dismount area, I take my feet out of the shoes (keeping them clipped in) but as soon as i get off the bike and start running the shoes clatter on the floor as the pedals keep revolving.

Question: If I simply push my bike to my space, is their any danger of the shoes coming off or is there a knack to running with the bike that prevents this "clattering".

Many thanks

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    the pedals shouldn't keep turning if you are running, as the freewheel should stop them. if the shoes are at 3/9 0'clock then the shoes should hang down without scraping on the floor (mine just about do, size 9s). i usually find that after the first bounce on the floor from one of the shoes they soon level up.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    The downside on leaving them clipped in is the fact that they may get scuffed when they hit the ground,they shouldn't come off unless the cleat float is very loose.
    As Ris says one bounce and it should be ok,but if not,as you dismount and start to run,lift the bike up slightly by the saddle with one hand and steer with the other.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    by jon.E » 16 May 2011 16:17

as you dismount and start to run,lift the bike up slightly by the saddle with one hand and steer with the other.
    I like your thinking - I may try this this year as I have allways used SPD's and ran through T1 & T2 but this year am using Keo's so will be more likely to leave clipped in.
  • wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 34
    This is great, thank you. I tried the "lifting saddle" approach last night, and worked ok but will need a little work to improve my steering.

One of the shoes came off this morning, so will tighten cleats this evening.

Thanks again
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Watching the Elites on TV even they suffer from it. Its annoying but other then scuffing the back of the shoes shouldnt be an issue?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I just tend to lift the bike off the ground, it doesn't weigh much so it is easily done and saves on teh steering problem...
  • gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    I think the issue here is that your worried about scuffing your £100+ bike shoes (yes?). It's inevitable unfortunately if you want to dismount in the way you've described, but lifting the bike is always an option, though a little awkward as you need to be a bit closer to your bike and could end up hitting your bike shoe and knocking it off (maybe would be ok with practice though ) - it's much easier to just accept that your going to get a bit of scuffing and run 'properly' with your bike away from you holding the saddle.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Yes, your shoes will get scuffed. They will also smell like a cheesy pigsty after a few races worth of jamming your wet feet into them though, so I wouldn't worry. If you're after faster transitions, then a few cosmetic scuffs are neither here nor there. Tighten the tension on your pedals and learn to do a flying mount too, unless you're facing a very big wet grassy transition. Anything else I would clip my shoes in in advance and sail cheerfully past all the mugs queueing at the mount line...
  • wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 34
    By way of an update I competed in the Crystal Palace Tri on Sunday, and knocked 30 seconds off last year's time. Would have been more if one of the shoes hadn't come off when I dismounted the bike.

Thanks for all the advice.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Well done

I lost one shoe coming out of T1 once, catching it against a kerb while trying to avoid somebody coming into T2 on the wrong side of the road (!) but if your shoes are already clipped in, then having the tension ratcheted right up shouldn't be an issue as you're not planning to unclip...