Home Chat General Chat

Aero Wheels for hire?

Just pinched off the first event of the season and was delighted with the performance of my new steed which ripped minutes off my bike split PB and exceeded my highest hopes for it (real shame about the so-so swim & the disastrous run, but thats another story.. ). Going on the theory that its a good idea to make the most of any small advantage in this game, im now looking at enhancing it further with a set of fast wheels. However, as im still in the poorhouse following the purchase of the frame im wondering whether anyone has gone down the route of hiring aero wheels? If so, any recommendations? I haven't heard of it being done, but t'internet has thrown up a few leads. Im thinking that this route might also prove flexible in that I could hire different profile wheels depending on forecast crosswinds etc. Thoughts?

Comments

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Not sure on hiring costs or availability but I would think it would be an expensive way of doing it plus if you have tubs then you wouldn't have much practice time. Maybe try borrow some or rent some for a week or two and see how you go, am sure that in the long run it would be an expensive way to do it.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    It's vey expensive

I looked into it about 12 months ago and it was about £400 a race, delivery, skewers, brake blocks, wheel bags, Insurance and the wheels themselves

Just buy some planet x wheels if you want cheap speed
  • MadDog2020MadDog2020 Posts: 20
    £400 per race!! A little more than the figure I had in mind...

Back to the drawing board then. I will have a look at the PX wheels and put the cat on eBay.

Thanks for the advice fellas.
  • fatmattfatmatt Posts: 145
    i hired some wheels in australia in 2009 for the worlds, a zipp disk and 400 front, the price was very reasonable for 1 week hire(under £100) and it meant i didn't have to take my own wheels. when i was googling i did find some sites in the uk that did the same thing, sorry but i can't remember the names.
    i just googled, wheel hire, and zipp wheel hire, that should bring some thing up.
  • I found a new place that seemed to spring up last year which seems a lot more reasonable than that around £100 for a week for race wheel hire. racewheelrentals you get the wheels through the post via courier, I had a good experience with them.