Home Chat General Chat

Hand paddle related intercostal muscle strain

Probably preaching to the converted etc here but just want to warn anyone who is new to hand paddles in their swim training-so maybe they can avoid the pain and frustration that my ill thought out use of hand paddles has caused me.
My 12 year old-bless her, got me some hand paddles for my birthday and I enthusiastically started using them for about 50% of my training sessions.Dumb idea. I seem to have managed to strain one of my intercostal muscles (the ones between your ribs) and it has taken over 6 weeks for the pain to be at a barely noticable level. At its worse-it was so painful that breathing deeply or coughing was unpleasant.
Could not swim at all for nearly 3 weeks. Back in pool now-minus the paddles and seems nearly back to normal.

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Paddles are a weapon to be used little and often until you use to them. I use paddles once a week in a drill session but never in one go for more than 12 lengths (33 metre pool). The strain they put on you is much greater than swimming with your hands. Swim gloves are a bit similar but not so harsh as the web part gives a bit. As said be warned these are things to get use to!
  • gavinpgavinp Posts: 168
    Or use small finger paddles to start and build up to the big ones over time (i.e winter training..)