Home Chat General Chat

Cassette's - Which One???

Hi,

As if choosing a bike that fits right and does what you want it to do isn't hard enough I'm now confronted with what cassette to go for!! I suppose I'm looking for what everyone wants but probably doesn't actually exist the perfect cassette to cover all options. Basically I do a lot of hills in my training rides - my commute to work is relatively flat and the tri's I do vary from very hilly to rolling roads.

Any advice?

Cheers

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    an 12-25 is the all rounder and one which most of us use.

I also have a 11-26 which I like as it gives me a bit more to spin up hills but if I want to nail then I can drop down to the 11.

Ask yourself where you normally sit on the cassette. Do you sit on the middle to top (25) or middle to bottom (12) (assuming as 12-25)

If it was very flat and not undulating I might even say a 12-23.

Currently I'm training using big gears to try and develop my power back. Its a personal choice and depends on your ability to climb hills/ nail it. As I say 12-25 is an all rounder

For me the 11- 26 can cover most bases as does the 12-25. As you develop you may want to consider a 12-23.... there are other options avail. If it was really really hilly then you can go up to 28 at the back
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    Also depends a bit what you have on the front and more importantly, your ability!

My race bike has a race set up on the front with a 12-23 on the back.

My sportive/ winter/ hilly bike has a compact on the front with a 12-27 on the back.

Horses for courses I guess but as mentioned, if you are spending most of your time on the 23/25 and struggle up hills then maybe a 26 or 27 would help. If you are doing long rides with big hills towards the end, it can't hurt to have this kind of gearing.

If you are down on the 12 ring a lot and hills are a breeze, stick with what a more traditional race set up.

It's really an impossible question to answer without knowing your ability. Go ride some hills and see how you get on. Cassettes are easily changed at a later date if thats what you want to do. Some people do change them around based on the terrain they will be riding.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    depends on your legs really. Both of mine use a 12-25 with the roadie being a compact ont he front and the tri bike being a standard double. however occasionally (read often) i struggle with hills on the roadie because i don't do enough training, once i'm trained a 25 is generally enough for most situations, just sit and spin and fight and swear and enforce your will over gravity.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    On my road bike I have 11-23 - 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 21, 23 - on a 50/36, the 23/36 is equivalent to a 25/39 and that is fine and even tackles hills OK

On my racing bike I have a 52/39 and 11-28, I did have an 11-25 but as you can see there is nothing in it except between 11-19, a mate needed a cassette so just kept the 28
    11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25
    11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 22 ,25 ,28
    Even when compared with the 11-23 nothing is lost 11-15 so an 11-25 gives lots of flexibility
  • chiefwighamchiefwigham Posts: 19
    Thanks guys much appreciated - I can see clearly now (i think).

Chief