Home Chat General Chat

run problem

Two years ago couldn't run for five months so started to bike but since then I'm finding running a real struggle, tired heavey legs and shorts strides. This is not because of any injure. Does biking have this affect or is it due to lack of motivation as I discoverd I like the bike more. I'm not running half of what I was before as I have to fit swim bike run in the same amount of time.

Any help would be great as next year I want to go from sprint to od but the thought of the run is the one thing putting me off.

Thanks

Comments

• wburnishwburnish Posts: 41
    Not to sure if this is going to help at all but here it goes.

When I reached a plato where i wasn't really striding out and couldn't get the time any faster, a freind suggested cutting down the distance a run that shorter distance had hard and as fast as I could, so i went from 5km back down to 2km. I found that hard run did increase my stride and reduce heavy legs. I did this and slowly built the distance up again following the same sort of appaoch, and now find that this is now my normal pace for a run.

Might not help butt it seemed to work for me.
    WIll
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    whats your trainng regime... I mean are you cycling 500miles in one week or 50???

Its hard to tell you without know how hard or how long you train. Are all your sessions at LT (lactic threshold) level or do you do long slow rides? do you use a turbo trainer? swim? recover??

Need more info
  • dhcmdhcm Posts: 67
    Due to shin splints I have done virtually no running since last October, apart from one moderate paced 40 min run over the last few weeks. But I HAVE done alot more cycling than last year. Entered a 10K on Sunday and ran 38, a PB by 1 minute. So for me NOT running seems to be best way to good running times...
  • kirkbykirkby Posts: 17
    I try to keep to a routine but this can change due to work and family and the how hard I train depends how much sleep I get as I work nights starting at diffrent time most nights.
    mon 20-40 mls blke
    tues 5-6 mls run
    wed 3 mls bike to 1 hrs pilates 10 mls bike home
    thurs 7 mls bike to 1 hrs swim then 7 mls bke home
    fri 3 mls run in the morning then 6 mls bike to work in the evenning
    sat 6 mls bike in the morning home, always very slow as I'm falling asleep. 1 hour roller bladding in
    the evening great fun.
    Trying to put in an extra swim on sunday but having to catch up on some sleep instead.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    looks to me like you may need a touch more rest, unless you're planning to do an IM then htfu
    My list may look more than I actualy do as some days are missed out when my work times are changed and from 7 sat morning till 10 mon morning I just sleep and relax. When the school is off I may only get 1 or 2 days free time.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    kirkby » 25 May 2011 13:55

My list may look more than I actualy do as some days are missed out when my work times are changed and from 7 sat morning till 10 mon morning I just sleep and relax. When the school is off I may only get 1 or 2 days free time.
    Yes but at what intensity are you training???

I also think you may just have a mental block now that you need to work through
    To be honest not sure about intensity, if I feel good i work harder take it easy when I'm tired. I'm pretty much learning as I go along on my own. I'll dig out the heart monitor and find out how to use it properly and see if I'm over doing it.
    thanks