Home Chat General Chat

Noisy Crank

pippip Posts: 170
Not the wife noooo.But when i'm climbing or putting the power down my crank makes a right old racket.I've oiled it with spray oil but this only worked for a short amount of time.Will greasing be the way forward.Thanks

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Its not your crank - its your cleats.

I'll bet £100 its not your cranks, its also not your BB either...

Check to see if you have worn cleats, tension is correct, dirty cleats, re-grease up the screws. etc
  • pippip Posts: 170
    New shoes and cleats all nice and clean and tight
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    it's usually somewhere else - the seat maybe. handlebars? could they be squeaky?

if you are pretty sure it is the cranks then it might also be the bottom bracket. if you have the tools then take the cranks off and check the bb bearings for wear (might be that they are moving under load).
    New shoes and cleats all nice and clean and tight
    there in lies the problem.

I've got two new pairs. Both creaked like buggery for a few months. Even tried two seats of different cleats. Once the shoes bed in and the cleats bed in it will go away.

I would say it will be very rare for it to be the cranks or BB. For peace of mind you could do as Ris says but I really think its coming from the shoes/ cleats
  • pippip Posts: 170
    Shadow i took your advice this morning and took off my cleats and sprayed WD40 into the screw holes and around where the cleats sit.Sorry mate but the problem is still there.Ithink crank removal and then some good grease all over .We'll see what happens
  • gkeatinggkeating Posts: 19
    Did you put grease on the crank/pedal thread? Got this alot on the MTB changing pedals - not so much on the roadie but might be another place to look. Gerneral rule of thumb use grease on metal to metal surface - wd-40 on everything else
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    "right old racket" is not very specific. What type of noise.

Meanwhile see http://sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html.

I had a creak - at 2 o'clock under power. My LBS literally rebuilt the whole bike with a bucket of grease before coming to the conclusion that there was a problem internally to the 105 cranks themselves.
    I had a creak - at 2 o'clock under power. My LBS literally rebuilt the whole bike with a bucket of grease before coming to the conclusion that there was a problem internally to the 105 cranks themselves.
    Really????

And did he check the cleats/ pedals etc... Internally to the 105 cranks themselves...hmmm
    Yeah.

The LBS mechanic started by greasing and tightening everything. No joy.

He got really annoyed he couldnt track it and became obsessed for a week - he worked on it in his spare time, no charge. Good shop.

They tried new bits on everything, finally replacing the 105 crank with another - the creak went; then they put the original back on and it came back.

That was back in my heavy days , lost 2.5 stone since. Back then I had to put down the power of an elephant just to hit 20kph.
    Meant to say, it was specifically the right hand side with the face plate.
    Ah so came from the drive side.... I could see why that may creak. I don't think specifically it was the "crank" but the connections to the chainrings perhaps?? I always assumed that cranks where hollow and that it would practically impossible for the crank to creak but if it was the drive side then it possible could be the connection to the chainrings.... not sure but at least you got it solved in the end!
  • rodtheplodrodtheplod Posts: 12
    i had that problem, it turned out it was my knees.