Home Chat General Chat

Advice..

First time post on here - so first things first hello to all..

Being of tall stature (2 mtrs) it's hard to reviews for carbon bikes (in xl/60cm) so wanted to get peoples advice/opinions. Have a few bikes in mind - Orbea GLT, Cube HPC, Trek 7.5, Blue Triad SL or something in the 2.5k price range.. Alot of different reviews out there but none to say if the frame is good for a tall rider - don't want to commit to a 3.5k bike and realise the frame needs a 140/150mm stem

Any info/experience/rating would be appreciated!

Comments

• risris Posts: 1,002
    i think if you are going to drop some serious money on a bike then i'd go to a decent bike shop to work out what bike/frame/fit would be best for your build. you might have to speak to more than one shop to get the breadth of bikes your are listing, but you wouldn't want to have any nasty shocks further down the line.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Thats some serious cash.

I agree with Ris. You want to pop into a really good bike shop and have a look at the bikes and see what you can get for your cash. Remember money talks so don't be afraid to blag.

You could also wait until september(ish) time when loads of bike shops may be trying to offload old stock.

Me personally - the Orbea is a brilliant bike. The frame quality is better than the 7.5 but you need to be able to fit to it. Ask Willieverfinish - he's super bendy and fits to it very well, where as I'm like a plant and can't bend at all. The 7.5 - awesome I have one. I'm 6ft 3 inches and the Trek for me is amazing. Can't comment on the others but if it was up to me it would be a toss up between the Orbea or the Trek.
  • largeadelargeade Posts: 166
    Theres loads of info on slowtwitch.
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Geom ... _1321.html
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/stackreach.html

So, it pretty much comes down to decision if you suit narrow/tall bikes (coz you are all legs), or long/low (with all the size in your body).

I'm a narrow/tall (6'4") and the choice is limited: pretty much Cannondale Slice, Blue, and possibly the Trek SpeedConcept because that is middle of the road but with lots of adjustability. I went with the Cannondale but only because I sat on it and immediately felt like I could comfortably fall sleep in the aero position. It has proved to be a great buy.
  • gkeatinggkeating Posts: 19
    Thanks for the replies - I'd be narrow/tall so the likes of a scott/blue/cannondale would be the best fit - possibly.. At the min I'm on a cube streamer 64cm, I had to put a smaller stem on to use the tri-bars and put the saddle forward quite a bit so I'd say a 60/59cm would be fairly bang on.

The one thing drawing me to the Orbea is a the spec - full Ultegra with good wheels. The Felt B12 wasn't imported by the European distributor in 60cm - that's sizeism if you ask me..

The funny thing is each LBS is pushing a different setup - sometimes that sales pitch is too good to be true especially with that kinda money.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I use an LBS. In fact he isn't local to me at all.

I travel 4.5hrs both ways to go Bridgtown Cycles. Why do I do this?

Mike is a brilliant bloke. He won't sell you something you don't need. He sells Trek and does Orbea as well. Dabbles in a few others also. He has a full bike set-up workshop upstair in his mezz so once you have your bike your then fitted for it.

Top notch shop with top notch staff. All friendly and make you really welcome. His web-site is www.btownbikes.com.

To be fair the web-site doesn't do the shop justice oh and he is also the premier UK store for Speed Concepts... I know this cause he procured me the very first SC7 in the UK...

I've seen an Orbea and they look amazing.... but the Trek is my cuppa!!!