Home Chat General Chat

Steroid injection - does it help?

An ongoing tendinitis and bursitis problem in my shoulder has prevented me from swimming.
Physiotherapy has not helped at all.
I am scheduled for an ultra sound guided cortisone injection tomorrow as the next step up of treatment.

Does anyone have experience with cortisone shots in the shoulder? or any other area?
Could you get back to swimming/training after? Did the problem re-occur in the future?

Appreciate to hear your experiences.

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Have you not asked the Dr or Surgeon already ?

I'd not let a huge needle full of steroids anywhere near me ithout knowing everything I needed to know.

Sorry not to be able to offer any advice but I would say is ASK the Dr.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Yes and no.

In some cases steriod injections do more harm than good, I know of someone who received a few cortisone injections into an achillies and it made it a whole lot worse.

I have an arthitic right foot, well more my big toe after I destroyed the joint when playing football - I got stamped on the foot. The toe can get quite stiff and painful and I received an injection right into the joint to help with the pain and stiffness. It was fecking sore.... and the pain afterwards, a few hours later was not something I will look forward to again.

Did it work - yes. But I akin getting that injection to one of the prime reasons I got injured.

However - Ben is right. You should be asking the surgeon the question. I made a list of questions before I let him anywhere near my foot and he duely answered and away I went with the injection. So get asking the surgeon...
  • u_j_2001u_j_2001 Posts: 47
    Hey guys,

of course I asked the surgeon, he recommended it and so did the physio which is re-assuring.
    With that in mind, its good to hear from experience of like hearted people like myself who see sport as a way of life and compete in the occasional event.
  • If you really decided to make a steroid injection, I do not recommend you to do that. Actually, you have to contact your doctor and discuss it with him. The only injection I'm not afraid to do is an upper lip botox injection at the trusted clinic. It also requires consultation with a doctor, but it's safer than a steroid injection. Good luck!