Home Chat General Chat

uk half ironman t shirt

So...........finished wimbleball.

Picked up my finishers t shirt.

Am i the only one in thinking the quality could be better......alot better.

When you pay £220 for your punishment, the least you could get is a t shirt you could wear down the pub, not shove it in the back of the cupboard and forget about it.

Or is it just me???

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    the least you could get is a t shirt you could wear down the pub
    Er.... it's just you
  • Er, just you too I'm afraid. Do you REALLY think the great big IM corporation give a stuff - in fact they're probably laughing all the way to the bank. Ok, I too did a middle distance race this weekend just gone (of course I can't call it a half ironman because I'd be banned from ever entering a triathlon again) - I'm taking a stab in the dark here but I guess that the distances would have been remarkably similar to Wimbleball. Cost £75 and a fab race to boot. Reasonable teeshirt AND a really useful thermal insulated mug thing which will get used until it falls to bits. IM is a business out to make money and that's it. Choice I'm afraid - £220 vs £75, no contest really.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Err... just you.

Why would you want to wear an IM finisher tee to the pub??? Really??

All my t-shirts from races are the wife's comfy's or rags to clean the bikes. There is only one t-shirt that I use for training cause its a 2xu t-shirt that I bought with the Abu Dhabi Triathlon logo all over it. Apart from that one the rest are shit..

MTFU
  • I think everyone is being a bit harsh. I did Wimbleball the other week and thoroughly enjoyed. It was a very tough 6 hours and I was proud to wear my tshirt. Sometimes in triathlon I think we understimate the achievements we complete. In days of ultra marathons and Deca-Ironmans, we often forget how remarkable it is to complete even an Olympic distance for most people let a lone an Ironman.

In reply to doing other HIM races that are not M-Dot. There is no differences in the achievement of finishing at all so do call yourself an Half Ironman (Joe Bloggs down the pub won't know). I would not normaly pay the earth for races (I'm a 21 student) but this was an exception of being a fantastic course, very well organised and for me it was on my 21st bday weekend.

Oh and in reply to the first question. Yep the shirts arren't amazing but I still wear mine down the pub. Who cares what people think. You have just done a remarkable thing...enjoy it and wear it with pride.
    The question wasn't did you or didn't you enjoy it... from what I read the questions were

is the t-shirt shit - YES - don't have one but I can imagine as its prob similar to the shit I got from IMUK

Could they not give you one you could wear down the pub - No cause that is just odd...no-one is saying its not an achievement, because it is but wearing a t-shirt from an event down the pub is just plain wrong.

Yeah wear it with pride and don't forget your paper bag over your head, cause while your wearing you will remember that the t-shirt is shit. Better still just use it as a duster.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Why is wearing a finishers T shirt at the pub any different to getting a dotM tattoo or wearing any kind of commemartive T shirt whether it is Monsters of Rock, Take That (well perhaps that is going too far), Harley Davidson etc etc? One wears a commemarative T shirt or tattoo because of a personal connection.

DotM is a huge corporation and the franchisees pay a whopping big fee so saving a few bob on a T shirt boosts their profit.

Other events have the same standard of T shirt, but then that is to be expected for th eproice they charge in comparison. On the Outlaw we got amongst other things a technical Polo shirt which I have never worn but it is uite nice. I do wear my others for gym, gardening etc or simply when I want a T shirt, stick my hand in the drawer and pull out the first one that's available.
    Zac.. could roll into various reasons

But really, wear one of those dire looking crap t-shirts down the pub? Are you having a laugh.

I could perhaps see the point maybe out a training run or something but the pub? If the question was do you wear you shitty t-shirts out training - I may have said yes but to the pub???

I bought a 2xu Abu Dhabi T-shirt at the expo before the race - would I wear it down the pub... eh no.

So how long do you keep wearing your t-shirt then?

Oh look at me I'm wearing my noidea triathlon finishers t-shirt from 1886... I'd rather they binned the t-shirts altogehter. Waste of money... proabably took some little indian kid 2hrs to make that and get paid 20p,
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    Good article by Martyn Blunt in the back of this months mag on t shirt etiquette.

Wear it with pride mate.
    Way better than some fatso wearing a football top glaring at someone across the room who's wearing a rival team shirt. :roll:
    Good article by Martyn Blunt in the back of this months mag on t shirt etiquette.
  • Bungle79Bungle79 Posts: 9
    The t shirt was crap at IMUK 70.3. I personally hate technical shirts (reminds me of aforementioned chunkies wearing football shirts with other mens names on the back - what is that about?, but that's another conversation)
    I was gutted that the one I got at Belvoir last year was a technical one, as the picture on the front is pretty cool for a triathlon one.
    Again personally, I wear my non technical t shirts quite a lot, granted not for black tie affairs.
    I see them as free t shirts, but my wife often reminds me that I probably pay upwards of £40 for these 'freebies'.

Shall I start the debate about IM tattoos now........
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I don't think I said I wear mine to the pub.

I did say that you are unlikley to get a fab T shirt as that eats into profits although the first one I got is quite a good design, some are so banal I simply don't collect one, one I use for cleaning my windscreen and coincidently today had a big sort out and chucked out 4 or 5 that had been lurking in the back of a drawer.

If someone wants to wear (a decent) one to a pub why not? I see people wearing Tshirts with AC/DC, Harley Davidson, Nike (Just Do It - what eat more pies), Chelsea, Man U etc. In the same way if someone wants to get a dotM tattoo then that is their choice, certainly not for me
    Ok point taken Zac - I suppose personally it comes down to personal choice. I wouldn't wear one to the pub, others might. Not my cup of tea personally
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    If we DONT wear our finishers t shirts out in public how the fook are people supposed to know we are exceptional athletes?

Compression socks are hidden under my designer jeans.
    Garmin 310XT is just dismissed as a kids transformer/Ben10 watch.
    Cycling tan lines hidden (its the jeans again)
    Oakley Jaw bones (Juan Pelota Ltd Edition) perched on top of my head so practically invisible.
    Faint smell of Sudocrem
    Loads of other people are drinking soda water.
    your forgetting the black marker pen that takes about three days to wash off completely - even worse if its sunny and your left with tan lines around the black marker pen..
  • OranjOranj Posts: 45
    Consider yourself lucky you got a t-shirt
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I have a finishers t-shirt from both IM UK and IM UK 70.3 in 2010, both identical, apart from some wording. They are black technical polo shirts, not really sure who needs a technical polo, would have been better to have been a technical t, or standard polo. I don't wear them to the pub, but being TT, I don't go to pubs. However, I do wear them to some vents. At the recent Long Course weekend in Tenby, you were surrounded by IM finishers shorts from all over the world, and all years, bags, caps and tattoos. It may be an ego massage to wear one, but it was good to be asked by newbie IM advice on what to expect, training etc.

I'm proud to have done an MDot race, and to have been awarded the title IronMan, as it was a journey I thought I'd never start, but once I did, the destination seemed unachievable. Every now and then, when my motivation is waning, and I'm struggling to get out of the door for a ride/run, then I sometime put on the rubber bracelets from the run in Bolton, and it gives me the inspiration I need to haul ass, and get going.

And I got the tat