Home Chat General Chat

Windsor Triathlon - Whatever happened to Triathlon being the

How bitterly disappointed was I to be turned away from the Windsor Triathlon a couple of weekends ago because I mis-read the rules and hadn't racked my bike the day before. I hear you, I hear you, yes I am an idiot, and I've been enjoying Tri in my amateurish way for over 10 years now and should know better. I should have read the regulations but I hadn't.

I am not able to race that often these days. Work and kids have taken priority but the couple of times I manage to get out during the course of a summer are fantastic. I'd not raced Windsor before and was so looking forward to it. After a full day of family activity on the Saturday which included 50 members of the family for bbq (still clearing up at 11pm, not the bet prep), I got up at 4 am to get to Windsor early to rack my back. The race director was completely unforgiving. Surely you make rules, knowing that a few will legitimately mess up. I pleaded calmly but persistently and guess what, the race director started to tell all of her colleagues that I was making trouble. I was mortified, at not being able to race and at the rudeness of the race director. I was told in a snobbish voice that "this wasn't some Tri set up in a field". Granted I realise that but really...Whatever happened to Triathlon being the friendliest and most welcoming sport in the UK.

Not impressed. For a few hours I fell out of love with Triathlon but it didn't last. I drove home and raced the same distance on my own using my local pool just in order to calm myself down. Thanks for nothing race director, I won't forget your unhelpful, unwelcoming attitude.

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I'm not condoning the behaviour of the race director in anyway as I feel that there is a line and by telling marhsalls you are causing trouble then he crossed it.

Tri isnt cheap, race fees are rocketing and mistakes can happen.

Have you emailed the organisers of the event for an explanation and to complain about the race referee?

I would, the only prob is that you will only make a small ripple in a massive pond ie prob fall on deaf ears but I would give it a go mate.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Rules are rules I suppose.
    And if they make allowances for one then they have to do it for others,unless you are a pro then rules can be bent.
    There is a right way and a wrong way to do things and the large organisers tend to use a big stick as the race is filled up,and will will up with or without your entry fee.

Unless it is a race I particularly want to do then I prefer the smaller races,better atmosphere and better value.

There may have been ways and means to circumvent the 'ruling issue',but I won't bore you with these.

Yes Triathlon is still a friendly sport,but the larger races just lack soul that's all.

Hope you find a better race.......most of them are up North
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    I understand the rule about time limits on racking but if a case was pleaded calmly and with contriteness I fail to see what was gained by the race director.

If there had been a whole gaggle wanting to rack and it was causing a problem then I can see the RD's point of view. If you were the only one a finger wagging and perhaps keeping you waiting untill the last minute would have been a satisfactory outcome all round.

I work in a sector where rules is rules, some are carved in stone others can be subject to interpretation; where I can be flexible what happens next depends on attitude - and I don't mean grovelling. If a person is an arse and abusive then I will not put myself out but still offer options where possible, their reaction to those options means I will either stand my ground or backtrack and go that extra for them. If a person acknowledges an error and they are not a serial offender and it is not going to lead to an infringement of rules then I will do whatever I can.

So yes you were wrong but you were contrite and asked in a reasonable manner for an outcome that would have little if any affect on proceedings. The RD in their attitude has uopheld the letter but not the spirit of the race regs.

Feel sorry for you, one to avoid I think.
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Hold on

You made a mistake - you chanced your arm at speaking with the race director and he was, I'm sure, sympathetic but couldn't/ wouldn't move the goal posts.

Now - how long did you plead with him for ?

I can see that after telling you time and time again he probably got a little miffed at you not taking no for an answer.

Windsor is a huge race - I'm sorry that you didn't get to race but to come on here and have a little pop at someone after you made a mistake is a little out of order. Sorry - your mistake, you missed out but you won't do it again .

Good luck in finding other races and good on you for racing the distances on your own. That's impressive. I hear the races in the Lakes are awesome
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Interesting thread.

Original poster fails to read the instructions.

But how different is that to the majority of the replies failing to read the post, and not noticing that it was the race Director, and that she was female?

Same crime, different punishments.

I can fully sympathise with OP.

Wasn't there, so don't understand what really went on.

But the post is valuable - the lesson is to read the instructions carefully.

OP - take it on the chin, and don't make the same mistake again. But you know that.
  • triadtriad Posts: 62
    Just the replies (in agreement or otherwise) made me feel better. Appreciate you all taking time to respond. Thank you all.
  • just2trijust2tri Posts: 198
    Sorry to add insult to injury .... but the race is really brilliant. Yes, expensive, arrogant, crowded and whatever else, but I had to do it once and it was great, very well organized (maybe too strict with the rules ), with fantastic atmosphere and all. Maybe you can write to the organizers and ask for a free entry next year??!