Home Chat General Chat

Tubs - which are the best buy

Just recently bought a set of Tubular rims - need to get a set of tyres to finish them off

Anyone recommend any tubs - vittoria, schwalbe, conti???

Comments

• jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    continental competition
    Best Tub going by far, read customer reviews
    Planet X are usually the cheapest (if they have can get hold of any)
    about £50 a piece
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I can recommend Vittoria Rallaye for general purpose / training, and for racing I have used Tufo Pulse Elite and Schwalbe Ultremo HT. Neither of those are cheap by any definition, but they are fast!
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    nivagh wrote:
    I can recommend Vittoria Rallaye for general purpose / training, and for racing I have used Tufo Pulse Elite and Schwalbe Ultremo HT. Neither of those are cheap by any definition, but they are fast!
    ...and there lies the rub with everything. Speed costs..."how fast would Sir like to go?"
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    +1 for Continental Competitions ... but then the only ones I've used. After 1000km including 2x Outlaw, 7x races look in almost perfect condition, no nicks, no discernible tread wear.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I've used conti competitions - great tub.

Vittoira - also good

Bonty XXX race - rebadge vittoria's.

You get what you pay for - £30 tub will not last as long as the conti competitions so if you buy say a cheaper tub such as tufo then expect to get what you pay for. Oh and tubs are for racing in my opinion. Train on clinchers, race in tubs
  • gkeatinggkeating Posts: 19
    Thanks for all the info - looks like conti are the way to go - will start looking around for them..

Bought myself a set of http://tinyurl.com/3mumhx7 for the P3C. I'll post some pics once the bike is fully built
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Keep an eye out on Ebay. I have had some great deals from time to time - like my Schwalbe Ultremos - £74 for the pair!
  • jcs356jcs356 Posts: 37
    Vittoria Evo CX. Their RRP is around £65 each but you can regularly get them from Ribble for closer to £40.
  • gkeatinggkeating Posts: 19
    Went with Conti Comps - great tubular tyre - but 170psi... gonna feel every bump on the road
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    by gkeating » 09 Aug 2011 09:43

Went with Conti Comps - great tubular tyre - but 170psi... gonna feel every bump on the road
    Better check what pressure your rims will take first. Also if you blow them up to correct psi then you won't feel the bumps at all. I have mine up to 140psi and the roads round my way are crap and I always feel that when they are blown up harder then it rolls along just nicely.