Home Chat Race Chat

Half Ironman in Two Months

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, just joined. I was wondering whether you think it's possible to start training now for a half ironman in April 27th. Mainly flat course.

I'm fairly fit, and just finished a half marathon this Feb 9 in 1hour 39 minutes. My PB on a sprint triathlon is 1 hour 22 minutes.

I've never done a half iron distance before, the longest I went was an Olympic Distance a year ago on which I finished in 2hrs 42 minutes. Now have another Olympic coming on this March 16th.

Do you think I have enough time to train in two months for a half iron distance? or I should think twice about it?

Thanks

Comments

• hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Hi, Im no expert but have very similar times and experience as you. If there was a half IM near where I lived Id definetly give it a go. Really depends how you feel. If you have a choice Go FOR IT! and good luck. This tri stuff gets damned addictive eh.
  • hitanihitani Posts: 4
    Thanks Hound dog, I will definitely give it a go. Yesterday I finished an Olympic Triathlon here in Dubai, it was through a sandstorm, and the biking and running were really hectic, but it was a great experience.

Good thing also is that I finished strong with more gas to go, so definitely I'm going for that half iron on April 27th. It's amazingly addictive, today I'm still in the euphoria and the buzz of yesterday's race, feels great.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

• hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    I know what you mean about the buzz. Dubai??? the sand must play havoc with your chain and other bike components. If my work allows and I find a half IM close enough to Inverness I'm going to give it a go.
  • TTX PROTTX PRO Posts: 225
    Good for you.When doing events like that make sure you train for at least one hour every day to help build your fitness and endurance levels.Also take a heart rate moniter as this will give you an indication of how fit you realy are and how fast you can recover and have plenty of carbahydrates by that i mean no fizzy stuff for example energy stuff made by SIS can be good and chilli souce.