Home Chat General Chat

Training Plan

Afternoon,

Does anyone have or know of a decent Excel training plan? Preferably one that can be altered.

I did the London Tri last weekend and enjoyed it so much, i want to put myself through more punishment and train for a 70.3. Rather than finding some plan that has already been put together on the web and doesn't take into account my work and private commitments, i would like to have a go at putting my own together.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, i would be really bl00dy grateful!

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    the definitive answer is get hold of Joe Friel's triathlete's training bible which explains how to build your own training plan. A similar excellent guide is called something like endurance planning or whatever (sorry to be so vague!).

The issue I have had with both WRT planning my own plans is knowing exactly WHATY to do. Yes, its great knowing you have a 45 minute swim session planned ... but what to do IN it (even with the suggestions available in the books).

didds
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    ... I'd add to that because that really wasnl;t a very helpful answer (!) that I've used generic plans as a result but rather than live by the timetabkles provided eg if its tuesday it must be a 2 hour ride and a 60 minute swim I just take tghe week's sessions and fit them as best I can with my personal life.

Yes, I do try to not get two back to back huge endurance sessions (long bike and long run on adjacent days) but then again despite all the best advice a huge number of triathletes have no option but to use their weekend for these anyway so "everybody" breaks the rules I do also try to fit a rest day in after the long distance syuff but again sometimes its better to plan that for the day I'll be driving 160 miles with a full days' work in between rather than try and fit in something meaningful on such days etc.

good luck!

didds
  • LancsRiderLancsRider Posts: 205
    I would also recoment 'The Triathletes Training Diary', or 'Going Long' by Joe Friel. You do not say at what level you want to compete so this advice is somewhat general. I agree with the last post in that as you get into training for longer distances and want better performances it is so important that you understand why you are doing a particular session and what you have to get out of it. To be honest many of the web based plans simply can't and don't do this.

There are two ways to achieve this. Firstly hand over your hard earned cash to a good coach who fully understands your individual needs and can give you a lot of attention, or secondly become a disciple of the sport, take on all the information you can, and self coach yourself, developing your own individual plan. This second option is not that easy but personaly I find it highly rewarding being able to play a fully hands on role in my own tri journey, it is all about taking responsibility for your own destiny. Joe Friel is an excellent source of information to guide you through the early days of this process.

It is a good time of year to do this, my annual training programme kicked off today with my first pre- base session in the gym. Take time out to gather information, set your racing goals for next year and plan ahead, it will pay dividens in the end. Good luck.