Home Chat General Chat

Removing race stickers...

Its almost the end of another season and yet again my bike and helmet are covered in race stickers, I have never really found an effective way of removing the adhesive left behind after pulling the main sticker off. The Ironman ones seem to be the worst...

Has anyone got a effective way of removing these stickers from metal, carbon and plastic without scratching or damaging the surface underneath?

Thanks

Comments

• QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    I gently warm up the sticker with a hairdryer as I like to remove the stickers in one piece and stick them to my suitcase/toolbox/bikestand etc. Patience really helps.
    Any adhesive left over usually can be cleaned off with WD40 tho not sure about IM stickers.

I guess even stickers have a hierachy? Do other stickers wish to attain IM status? Non IM branded stickers offering the same distance aren't considered as good?
    Have I over thought this?
    Yes.
  • cellulose thinners, dab it on then when you have the glue removed wash the area down.
  • jcs356jcs356 Posts: 37
    I appreciate you've asked for post race tips, but a couple to remember for next year before you stick them on:
    1. Stick some masking tape on your bike/helmet first, then stick the sticker to that.
    2. If you're not bothered about in race photos on the bike (assuming they have a photographer), wrap the number around the front brake cable so most of the label is stuck to itself. Worse case you are leaving goo on the cable rather than the frame.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Or make yourself a little sticker mount out of a margarine tub lid or similar, fasten under top tube or behind saddle.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    (personally I just tear off what I can and leave the rest)
  • st3phenst3phen Posts: 1
    Try goo gone, perfect for the job.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/goo-gone/s?ie=U ... one&page=1
  • QuitterQuitter Posts: 160
    nivagh wrote:
    Or make yourself a little sticker mount out of a margarine tub lid or similar, fasten under top tube or behind saddle.

Carbon fibre surely?....I have some here branded with the words Triathlon or IronicMan.
    3g* lighter than your <pfft> "margarine tub" and proven in a windy tunnel**.
    A snip at £29.99 including drill bit and pop rivets.

* not including mounting bracket, pop rivets.
    ** Side alley of my house.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    Im quite partial to black electrical insulating tape around where the number will go, comes off easy peasy! And you could potentially colour-co-ordinate too or go for that fake carbon-effect version, if you really want to go overboard (doubt anyone will buy it if you're riding a 1/2 ton steel beast tho).