Home Chat General Chat

Ironman UK

Hello everyone, I've been seeing lots of posting about different ironman events around the world and thought it would only be right to start one up about the UK one!

I'm entered for it, and cant believe in 5 months i'll almost be donning my westuit for a day of fun!

THis will be my first ironman event, so im pretty excited and as such keep telling myself that i will do it in under 10 hours(yeah right!!).

IS anyone else out there doing it in August, or has anyone done it over the last few years and have any tips/advice/ comments they want to throw in- god knows i'll need them all!

Thanks,

Johnny

Comments

• rickshawrickshaw Posts: 3
    Hi Johnny

I have also entered Ironman UK. I completed IM Frankfurt in 2002 so have some experience of what to expect. A sub 10 hour time is out of my league however I'm following Don Finks programme (beIRONfit) which is more structured than my previous training.

I have read a couple of posts on the forum that the bike course is pretty tough so I am considering a drive down to Sherborne to ride a lap in the near future. I would also appreciate any comments from other competitors

Rick Shaw

• RobRob Posts: 209
    Guys, I'm signed up as well. It'll be my first full IM, did Wimbleball last year. My aim is to finish in daylight. Actually, just finishing would be good! I'll be doing recces of the course over the next few months. I can cycle to the Dorchester end of the bike course from home in around 1 3/4 hrs, so my long rides will be heading out that way for sure. I'm using 'IM Start to Finish' & am now in the third week of the 24 week schedule. Good luck with the training. It's going to be a long 21 weeks & 6 days.

Rob
  • Hi all,

I did IM UK last year, and I don't think the bike was as bad as I thought it was going to be. From Sherborne down to Dorchester there is a lot of down hill and flat so you can make up good time on this bit, coming back from Dorc to Sher is a bit tougher but its nice to know that the down hill bit will there to recover.

There are some cheeky hills in between both legs of the lap, again there is lots of support and I can assure you, you're not the only one who will be grimmacing, when I did it there was always about 20 plus trying to crawl up the hill, me included.

The trick is to make sure you leave enough in the legs to get around the run, now the run is tasty.

Good luck and see you there[:)]
  • Just like to clarify that there is no way in hell im doing this in under 12 hours, never mind in under 10!!!

Yeah i've heard the run is 'great fun'! Did a half marathon yesterday and i can barely hobble today...oh dear! I have no idea how im going to get to do the cycle course before hand( i live in cambridge so its quite far away), but i imagine its pretty helpfull to do it??
  • Hi all,

I'm in as well for my first IM ever. In fact, I've never even done a triathlon and only started swimming in August and cycling in January! I've a few marathons under my belt though and as I'm only aiming to get round in under 17 hours, I'm reasonably comfortable at this stage that I'll manage it.

I'm going to check out the bike course in June when I'm entered into my first tri - the 1/2 IM distance race in Weymouth, which is only a few miles down the road.

OK then sassigs. What makes the run 'tasty'?!

LoR
  • Hi LifeofRiley,

First of all its a great feeling to be off the bike after 6hrs or so, the butt is sore and the neck is stiff as a board, so thats the plus side. The run goes around the estate twice and then out onto the A30 from Sherborne to Yeovil, this is the tasty part, well for me anyway. Its very undulating and the worst thing is that you get a great view of the up and coming hills. You run to yeovil and back twice.

Don't get me wrong, its a great day, I think I got one of the last places this year and I can't wait.

Anywho, good luck with the training, are you all following a weekly sched?
  • 'Undulating' eh? Now there's a word I don't like! Oh well, I don't suppose there's such a thing as an easy IM is there?

LoR

• Hi guys, I am based in Manchester and am doing my first Ironman at the Uk Ironman too. Sounds like a good idea to head down there and scope out the course. Gotta be quieter and safer than cycling the streets of Manchester with all the dealdly white van men!!

I have only done a few normal triathlons before and really need to do some proper training. Anyone who wants lives near or just wants to organise an Ironman training day/weekend or something then feel free to contact me. It would be less daunting to see some familiar faces at the start line or around the course!!

Thanks

Rob
  • ironmanironman Posts: 7
    Hi rickshaw

I'm also following Don Fink's beIRONfit in preparation for Ironman UK 2007 at Sherborne.

I'm doing the Competitive Programme, I am in week 11 and so far I have hit every session.

I have had to juggle the sessions within the week on occasion but I dont think this is a major problem?

I have two questions for you (or anyone else doing this plan)

1) When doing a typical bike, say 2hr30min Z2 on the road, it is not possible to cycle for this time within the Z2 zone. Do you increase your ride time to give this time in the zone or just cycle for this period with as much as possible in Z2?

2) As I have progressed through the plan I find I need to run much faster to get in Z2. Is this because my fitness is improving or is my HRM playing up?
  • Rich_CRich_C Posts: 152
    Hi,

Im doing the IMUK, it will be my second triathlon.

Ive got my first tri in 6 weeks, the IM Lanzarote.

Not going to be an easy time at either event but hope that ill complete at least one of them, in a semi-decent time (for a newbie) would be a bonus!

Very much looking forward to the events! Cannot belive that after years of dreaming of the Lanzarote I may actually get to stand on the beach. Weird feeling for a first timer like me.
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    how do Rich ,, long time no ... how your trg coming on ??

mad
    Long time no see Mad!!

Hows it going bro? I was getting worried about you mate.

I hope all is good for you and thing are OK.

Trainings going good for me mate, Just cannot wait to get to the beach,LOL.

Cheers, R
    am good cheers.... training well for now (touch wood) the big day draws closer - crazy thing is i am now really looking forward to it. still aprehensive mind. having completed snowdon was a big steeping stone & now know i can bike a ton and swim long its now do-able.

mad
    Sub 4 for the Snowdonia was a good time bro and I would not be surprised if you go sub 4 in the IM run too.
    i would like to think i could but we will see how the day pans out. my running has come alot since - now use forefoot strinking which helps loads, bike is alos strong but still swim like a brick with a puncture. i didnt realise you doing IMUK as well ... (& u say i mad) - dont ask about my races 4 this year. may have to bob down to sherborne buy you a pint after .....