Home Chat General Chat

ITBS

I have IT band syndrome since Ironman 70.3 and whilst it is significantly better than a few weeks ago, I can't really run more than a 10k before I get the pain on the outside of my left knee. Thankfully cycling doesn't obviously aggravate it. I have rested, do lots of stretching etc etc but it just won't go away. I have had the foam rollers recommended, so will probably invest in one of those next and have seen little straps that you put round your knee (look a little gimmicky, but am open minded if anyone has good reports).
Does anyone else have any tricks / remedies to suggest? I am keen to get rid of it as wanted to do another middle distance next year (thinking Vitruvian after watching my brother last weekend) as well as a whole heap of sprints to try out my new planet x on!
Ta muchly.

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    The question is not how to treat the symptoms but how to treat the cause.

You have to consider why your ITB is tightening up. I'm going to bet £1000 that the problem isn't your ITB but in reality its likely to be your arse ie your glutes.

Members of the other forum often joke about this, but in actual fact its true. I suffered badly for months last year with tight ITB. Quick test should be my glutes, espec my left glute was as weak as piss. Strengthening them up will help significantly.

To treat the symptoms in the short term - foam roller, and sports massage. Be prepared for pain cause sports massage is/ can be bloody sore but it works.

So treat the cause and the symptoms and you'll be fine. Just treat the symptoms and it will keep coming back
  • AvoneerAvoneer Posts: 174
    Good arse exercises then?????

Pat...
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Good arse exercises then?????

Pat...
    There are loads you can do to strengthen off the glutes, single leg squats, leg cross over etc.

I am not saying that for 100% that he has weak glutes but rather that he should consider why the ITB has tightened up in the first place. My own personal experience from earlier on in the season showed I had a weak as piss left glute- I was also experiencing sore left ITB and bad left knee probs.

I spent a bit of time doing glute strengthening to help and it worked but I stand by what I said, just treat the symptom and it will come back find the cause and treat the symptom.
  • I will give the exercises a go, cue me having an arse like race horse soon then, and I don't just mean big and hairy.....or a tail before it's said.
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    The question is not how to treat the symptoms but how to treat the cause.

You have to consider why your ITB is tightening up. I'm going to bet £1000 that the problem isn't your ITB but in reality its likely to be your arse ie your glutes.

Members of the other forum often joke about this, but in actual fact its true. I suffered badly for months last year with tight ITB. Quick test should be my glutes, espec my left glute was as weak as piss. Strengthening them up will help significantly.

To treat the symptoms in the short term - foam roller, and sports massage. Be prepared for pain cause sports massage is/ can be bloody sore but it works.

So treat the cause and the symptoms and you'll be fine. Just treat the symptoms and it will keep coming back
    +1