Home Chat General Chat

improving my swimming...

Afternoon all,

I've decided in my "wisdom" that 2007 is the year for me to do a triathlon. The biggest problem I have with this is I've never been much of a swimmer, so shortly after New Year I started having lessons, and I've improved considerably since... but I'm still rubbish! Now I think part of my problem is a lack of fitness, I do a lap and have to stop for a breather (33m pool), so going more would be beneficial, but then I'm concerned that my technique isn't what it should be either.

So, should I go swimming for fitness, and rely on Wednesday night lessons to beat my rubbish technique out of me, or just leave it for Wednesdays not wanting to reinforce bad habits.

I'm also not doing any bike training yet, since I don't have a bike at the moment (working on that!) and very little running training since I don't really like running, and I'm a bit lazy. I've been thinking a schedule would help and looking at "12 week triathlete"; comments anyone?

I also don't know when I could realistically expect to enter an event? Wondering about the thames turbo tris and maybe blenheim? Would like to do olympic distance before the year's out, but don't know where. I'm based in SW London.

This post ended up being alot longer than I expected...

Comments

• JulieMacJulieMac Posts: 30
    When I first started out in triathlons I found joining a club was a significant step, training with friendly like minded people really helps to keep you motivated and they normaly have sessions worked out, I was a runner more than anything and could only swim about 2 lengths befor hanging on to the edge gasping for breath having drunk what seemed like nearly the whole pool! Now for one reason and another its my strongest leg. I did get a few lessons but found mostly that going on a regular basis learning to relax take it slowly and remember the drills and good techniques I'd been taught all paid off, if you can find a club with either a coached session or one where they have a session plan already done it will give you something to work towards and ask what abilities they cater for, you'll probably find they have a begginers lane it might help if you can tell them how long it takes for you to swim 400m (16 lenghts in a 25m pool) and they'll let you know if theres a session for you.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Kudos to you for wanting to do a triathlon this year.For most triathletes the swim leg is down to survivability.You can not win a race with the swim but done wrongly it can set you up for a bad day.

Firstly are you happy in the water? or do you start to worry when you get tired if so go for long slow swims to build up your confidence,once you are happy with yourself look to build up a bit of speed,alternate one length front crawl one length breaststroke(swim the crawl as fast as you can and relax with the breaststroke).then start to eliminate the breaststroke adding more frontcrawl lengths between your recovery length.I appreciate that to some of the more expert swimmers that a more structured approach would be better but this is how I taught myself to swim and gain confidence and can now happily swim 3miles+ and compete inmost races upto Ironman with a reasonable swim time and then make a total botch on the swim and cycle.Remember practice makes permanent so a class lesson should give you a good quality base from which to work from.Hope this helps .

Not wanting to start a North South divide there is no shortage of races around London.
  • hound doghound dog Posts: 293
    Wise words from JulieMac there. Another option is to register (and pay) for a novice tri somewhere near you in say....two months time or less if you feel like a challenge. Tell everybody you know that you are doing it and when it is.

You will then have no option but to train to the best of your ability.

I guarantee once you have finished that, you will be addicted and also have a better idea of what to expect from an olympic.that was my theory anyway.

Surely there must be a tri club in your part of the country?

Good luck.