Home Chat General Chat

Argon e80 or e112

Hi i have decided on an argon 18 tri bike frame, either the E80 or E112 ones aluminum the other carbon, i prefer the paint job on the alu also the alu one is 500 pounds cheaper, there are good reviews on the e80 whats the views of the forum buy alu with better equipment, theres only 100 grams in weight difference

thanks

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Some general observations:
    Weight; 100gms is nothing
    Carbon:
    Pros: Can be moulded into complex shapes, chief advantage soaks up road buzz bumps and lumps
    Cons: More expensive than alu, depending on weave can flex
    Alu:
    Pros: Cheaper than carbon, more resistant to drops etc
    Cons: Limited scope for complex shapes, harsher ride than carbon

My experience; had a Focus Izalco alu - loved it, nicely specced then got a Cervelo P2C carbon frame swapped the components over and over the same course was 3min faster. Then got some carbon 50mm aero wheels and another couple of minutes faster.

E80 has v good reviews as does the E112

What's your budget? I presume you have factored in the components and wheels if not you then your choice is alu frame and good wheels or naff wheels and a carbon frame with a future upgrade and naff wheels relegated to training.
  • stevepstevep Posts: 17
    My budget is 2k ive got aero wheels i would spend the change from the frame on good componets, im trying to convince myself that carbon is not faster than alu, as i am doing oly tris and TT,S
    Ah Steve, big dilemma then, I'll leave it Argon owners to detail the relative merits but carbon has an allure whose temptation you may yet succumb to
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    How would you like a second hand E112?

There is one in Bridgtown Cycles - sitting doing nothing.

Bear in mind the difference between the geometery between the E80 and the E112.

My preference would be get the E112 as that will kick the arse out of a E80 everyday.

Speak to Bridgtown Cycles - the prev owner spent a small fortune adding some serious upgrades on the frame and I mean some proper serious upgrades!!
    Aha the voice of temptation beckons you Steve
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Its too small for me zac.

I need an XL frame. I think the frame in Btown is a medium. Its been well looked after - defo worth a look