Home Chat General Chat

Tri suit or Cycle short for an Ironman?

I am off to do my first Ironman event in Nice, France in 5 weeks!

Do I wear my '2XU' Endurance Tri Suit or my more padded 'Skins' cycle bibs for the cycle?

Is it worth losing the few minutes in changing for comfort?

At present I think I am in favour of changing from proper cycle kit into running kit.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    A fat bald bloke from oop north once told me on his long distance training day that comfort is king during an IM..

Change mate - you won't regret it
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    +1 change. I wore Sugoi cycle shorts, comfort is King
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I'll echo the thoughts of others and say "comfort is your friend". What you may save in 5 minutes of transition you could lose 80 mile up the road with saddle rash from hell.

If you've trained in cycle shorts race in cycle shorts.

If you've trained in your tri-suit and have COMFORTABLY covered 100+ miles a few times then you could go for it.

But as it's your first IM finishing is your first goal and it would really piss you off if you DNF'ed due to a silly clothing choice.......

Good luck by the way, that race looks stunning!!
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I'm going to go against what otehrs have said, but only breifly.

I did my first IM in a tri suit, never before worn, in fact. And I was fine, the only thing that got uncomfrotable was my feet that was the real pain. Nice is a tough bike course (i'm hoping to do it next year so I'll appreciate a full report on here about it if you don't mind! )so how long will it take you (estimate)? How long have you been out and ridden in your tri shorts? If you haven't done any long bike rides (>6hours) in tri shorts you might want to change into bike shorts, if you have - how did you feel? I had done a couple on long bike and even longer turbo sessions in tri shorts and knew it wouldn't be too bad, so decided that a few mins in T1 and T2 to change for a negligable benefit wasn't worth it for me. But as others have said, comfort is important, if your, um, undercaridge, isn't made of steel like mine seems to be, then go for comfort. Or, man up and use the tri shorts
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    As said above it depends on what you have trained in and what your plans are for IM - if you want to just finish then comfort is key and change if you have to. If you want to put down a good time, for you, then I would go with Tri suit so long as you are comfortable for the distance. I have done a few halfs and an IM and all have been done it trisuit with no problems.
  • cw_74cw_74 Posts: 11
    I've only done 70.3's but for my first (UK) I put on a pair of cycle shorts over my tri shorts which worked a treat and saved a bit of time in transition.
    Got an Adamo seat and used that in my last 70.3 and no problems at all!

Good luck in your IM
  • pippip Posts: 170
    I agree with CW-74.When i did my 70.3 i wore bibless cycle shorts over my tri suit.They took seconds to take on and off and i was comfy all the way.I'm doing outlaw this year and i'll be doing the same only this time i'll be using chamois cream too as this also adds to the comfort
  • just signed up for my first IM in Nice (June 2012). i think i'll try training in my Orca tri short and padded bib shorts on top. Komfort is King. can someone tell me how one gets round the no nudity rule at tri to put on a bike bib short in T1 and then change to run/tri shorts in T2? thanks.
    C
  • just signed up for my first IM in Nice (June 2012). i think i'll try training in my Orca tri short and padded bib shorts on top. Komfort is King. can someone tell me how one gets round the no nudity rule at tri to put on a bike bib short in T1 and then change to run/tri shorts in T2? thanks.
    C
  • There's normally dedicated male and female only change areas away from the general area, nudity is allowed within these areas only