Home Chat General Chat

Your Best Triathlon, any good?

Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has read Your Best Triathlon by Joe Friel? What are your opinions? Does it actually have plans to follow or is it like training bible, provides the knowledge but your left to figure the rest out?

Cheers

Comments

• Triumphant used it this year to smash his IM pb by 2 hours on an incredibly hard course - ask him!
  • Yep, really can recommend this book. It assumes you have some experience beforehand, so not really intend for first timers, but has plans for all four distances, sprint, olympic, half and full ironman. Nothing too technical, everything broken down into structured periods, and lots of background info on what you need to be thinking about and doing around training. Works well when read with the Training Bible for even more info
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    Great stuff, book ordered, hoping it will help me prepare for IM Wales...
  • grant.smith wrote:
    Great stuff, book ordered, hoping it will help me prepare for IM Wales...
    Check out our race reports at the other place
  • TRIumphant wrote:
    Yep, really can recommend this book. It assumes you have some experience beforehand, so not really intend for first timers, but has plans for all four distances, sprint, olympic, half and full ironman. Nothing too technical, everything broken down into structured periods, and lots of background info on what you need to be thinking about and doing around training. Works well when read with the Training Bible for even more info
    Hi TRIumphant,

Well I received the book today and I am about 60 pages in already. Its a great read but I wondered if you wouldn't mind answering, well more confirm whether I am understanding this correctly?

Training is basically 28 weeks (assuming I do the full suggested program) made up of Prep 4wks, Base 12wks, Build 9wks, Peak 2wks and finally race 1wk. Correct or not?

Secondly, each training block has two fleshed out weeks, a training week and a rest & test week. So say I am doing Prep, I repeat the training week for three weeks and then do the rest & test week. Again, as far as you are aware, am I understanding that correctly?

I guess am questioning because this year I followed the Be Iron Fit program which is very progressive over time. This plan, on the face of it, doesn't look very progressive. Or am I way off the mark? I should probably reserve judgement until I read the whole book...
  • You are right, although the Prep period doesn't last 4 weeks, it just gets repeated until you are ready to step up into Base, the idea is it's getting to ready to train, and you can repeat as many times as you need to in the off season.

Each period is generally four weeks long, three weeks following the top half of the page, and then one week rest/test doing the second half of the page.

It does get progressive as time goes on, as as you read the introduction to each period you'll see that the intensity and focus of each period changes as well.

Being an older athlete, I worked on a three week cycle, two weeks training, and then one week rest/test, which meant I had to repeat certain periods, but it all worked out fine in the end, and came away from Tenby with a two hour PB.