Home Chat General Chat

Mag question: which 2012 races are you entering?

Afternoon all

Trust all is suitably splendid on this ruddy damp day.

We're in the midst of putting together our 2012 Race Special for issue 267
and we want to hear from you, our 220 forum brethren, about your top races.

Is it scaling Helvellyn, the royal splendor of Blenheim or the team dynamic
of the National Relay Champs? The Letchworth Duck 'n' Dash aquathlon or the
London Tri behemoth? Has Ironman Wales shot straight to the top of your most
amazing tri experiences? Or does your favourite race take you further afield
to Roth, Wanaka or Kona?

We want you to tell us what makes your top events so special. Was it the
gruelling route, social camaraderie or bumper goody bag at the finish line?
Perranporth, Windsor and Abu Dhabi are some of the treasured tri experiences
being discussed here.

We'll print some of the responses in issue 267 of 220, out on newstands 15
November.

Cheers
James, 220 ed

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    For me it looks like am going to stick to the smaller more persoanl race's

May -Taunton Deane Sprint triathlon

A really nice race with a hillyish bike which is quite a challenge but one thats worth doing. Its really well organised and the marshals are truely excellent. I have done this 3 times and it gets better each year.
    http://www.tauntondeanetri.co.uk/TDtri/general.asp

Sometimes its the smaller races that are the most fun.
  • pippip Posts: 170
    No iron distances for me but some toughies.
    Hellvellyn
    Bala middle
    Horwich
    Leeds
    Then some nice easy sprints and Olympics,Macc sprint,Tatton Olympic and Boundary breeze sprint and Manchester marathon
  • Wetherby Triathlon to crack the swim which last year took me 35 minutes against the river and 10 with the flow.
    Will try North Norfolk Triathlon again a great race, well organised and well supported (and I got a PB).
    Inbetween will enter 2-3 other OD's and maybe just maybe something a little longer.
    Also doing Manchester Marathon, Leeds 1/2 Marathon and Brass Monkey 1/2
  • fire trifire tri Posts: 173
    blimey pip ur proper going for it next year, i remember you saying last year about doing tatton!!!

I'm gonna do Horwich next year as missed doing it this year due to work, and wanna beat my time from 2010 as it was my first ever tri at any distance!!!
    Emergency services tri down at nottingham
    There might be a new half iron distance in cheshire for next year, it nearly went ahead this year but no advertising and short notice for people.
    Tatton not sure which distance to go for next year.
    Boundary breeze as I was on for a good time for me this year but punctured early on on the bike with my racing tubs on, was gutted.
    And probably do wilmslow half marathon, first go at it this year and did 2hours and 49 seconds, so wanna beat that 2 hour mark
    maybe mix in a few local xtra mile sprint events
  • Morg007Morg007 Posts: 54
    Having done sprint and olympic distances ranging from the "biggies" like Windsor, Blenheim and London to small local ones like the BRAT birmingham triathlon (2 miles from my house!) I am stepping up to the iron distance race and will be attempting the Outlaw. I'm also going to raise money for http://www.getbeatricemobile.org/ whilst doing this.
  • Slipped disc L4:L5 just diagnosed....looks like next year will consist of pilates and swimming. AGGGHHH!
  • Unlucky about the slipped disc. With the right management you may be to heal it over the winter months. If not, it looks like you will enjoying a year of stretching behind a group of people in tight clothing - not all bad if you're into that.

Anyway, think it is an Iron year for me having completed IMUK 70.3 this year.

East Leake Sprint

Leeds Half Marathon

Little Beaver OLY/ Beaver Middle Distance - Surprisingly tough OLY; added 15 mins onto my OLY PB after a winter of good training and I had beat my East leake sprint PB by nearly 5 mins a few weeks before.

Northampton OLY

112mile Leicestershire Ride

IMUK - Hopefully....

Anyone else doing any of these?
  • It'll only be my 2nd season so few short/sprints in local area, couple of 50mile bike rides , The Nairnshire challenge and Eco Adventure 999.. its in print so got to do it now!
  • IronMan for the last two years, so need to top up the bank balance, so 2012 will be a pared down year. Need to focus on running, so a few marathons, and ultra or two, topped off with some sportives and the Long Course Weekend.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    As I've delayed another foray into the long distance by another year then I am spending next year on the middle distance. 3 in total I think.

Haven't decided on which ones but my main focus for 2012 is Miami 70.3

So other than that I will be looking to get as close to 5hrs as possible at the Vitruvian as well.

Might do Trentham or possibly Bala.

Few Oly's in between - DEVA, Ripon, Strathclyde - depending on dates of each of course.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Trying to
    a) keep it local
    b) keep it cheap(well as cheap as triathlon can be)
    c) enter ones that I have a chance of finishing before they take the finishing line down:-)
  • doogledoogle Posts: 58
    probably going to do mainly local club organised events as i feel many of the events run by companies are pricing themselves out, nearly £50 for a local sprint race is way over the top when a similar club organised one was under £30.

will probably also look for some different distance events / off road races for a change to keep me ticking over before another half ironman late next year or the year after
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    jon.E wrote:
    Trying to
    a) keep it local
    b) keep it cheap(well as cheap as triathlon can be)
    c) enter ones that I have a chance of finishing before they take the finishing line down:-)
    +1!!

I did really enjoy the Oulton Park Duathlon a couple of weeks ago so I may well do both versions next year as season opener and closer.

I am also going to try to do the award-winning Llandudno Tri. Not sure about any others yet!
  • DNF'd at IMWales this year whilst trying to raise funds for mobility equipment for my daughter, Beatrice -
    Went from a sprint tri in 2010, to IM in 2011. Although I DNF'd I completed olympi and HIM along the way.
    I know so much more know than I did then, but still need to learn more.
    This year I will be doing:
    Long course weekend
    Iron Man Wales
    And then I'll be able to give my daughter the medal I promised her, raise the profile of her condition and raise some money along the way - and hopefully, I'll have a bit of fun too!

http://www.getbeatricemobile.org
  • Going to step down a distance next year and do the Midnight man iron distance race and maybe The Outlaw if allowed. (my wife has just had our second baby so things are rather busy at the moment.)
  • Providing I can stay injury free g( wrecked knee at the minute)

TP100 - Ive had to withdraw from

So Windsor OD with my son in tow.

Cotswold 113 or another middle

Sportives and now thanks to "sponsorship" deffo a couple of races abroard.

Thinking a 70.3 in the states and a challenge half somewhere.

Can't bloody wait.

Great topic BTW - keeps us interested and keen in these dark months
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Bit of a re-run of this year, but with a better plan for fitting Tri in around the rest of my life.

2012 Goals: Sub-45 10k, Sub-2:30 OD, Sub-5:30 HIM

10/01 – Stubbington 10k
    26/02 – Heartbreaker X-C Marathon
    25/03 – Eastleigh 10k
    13/05 – Swashbuckler Middle Distance
    17/06 – Windsor Olympic Distance
    08/07 – Bournemouth Olympic Distance
    19/08 - Brownsea Island Swim (6.5km)
    26?/08 - National Club Relay Champs - COME ON BCTTT!!!

Chuck in a handful of sportives and some more OW swims towards the back end of the year and the job's a good'un. Might get a chance to chuck a few sprints in as well. We'll see. Oh, and time-trials. Lots of time-trials...
  • Bopomofo wrote:

26?/08 - National Club Relay Champs - COME ON BCTTT!!!

Amen brother Bopo
  • XpiderXpider Posts: 22
    Sussex Tri Olympic Distance - 7th July 2012

Cant Wait
  • Just the one (can't handle race day stress and pre race insomnia) - Norseman
  • cg6478cg6478 Posts: 1
    I did have big event ambitions for 2012, but then I saw the prices and realised I'd have to remortage the house to enter them all.

The prices seem to have shot up in the last few years. At £70+ for a standard tri, you certainly need to be seletive - and certainly not use events as part of a training programme.

But there are some fantastic smaller local events that have kept the lid on costs. So here's my list:
    Marlow duathlon (March)
    Crystal Palace tri (May)
    Thames Turbo series (April/May/June)
    Sussex Tri (July)

Have a good 2012 everone...