Home Chat General Chat

Training Music

hey guys, what good songs do you recommend for training to ?

Comments

• Hi bridge12
    Give LCD Soundsystem's 45:33 a try, it was commissioned by Nike for a original run series and has various different tempos for a run session of, yep, 45:33mins.

That or the 'upside' CD of Pearl Jam's best of album!

Cheers, Matt (220)
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    You're likely to get a divided response here.

Mine is- outside, nothing. I prefer to hear traffic etc.
    Inside on the turbo, it depends what I'm feeling like. Sometimes I do an hour's hard intervals to "Live Angle" by Hybrid, using the breakdowns as recovery sections..
  • I agree with Nivagh that outdoors I would never listen to music, on the bike it is highly dangerous, and running on safe trails I would rather listen to the birds and other backround noises.

On my trainer or on a treadmill at the gym it varies depending on the intensity of the session but if I had to pick something I would say anything by Jean Michel Jarre, suspect I am showing my age there. In a public place I guess it is also important to choose something instrumental as it stops you singing along, and if you sound like me nobody deserves to have to listen to that.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Varies.

During the winter I will run with music on maybe once a week. When I get closer to the races the music gets binned as I can't race with it.

Also the turbo - I usually stick on a film but generally have no idea what happens in the film as I invariably end up chewing the front wheel and sweating like a pig. haha

Althought when I like listening to stuff with variying tempo ie a banging baseline!!
  • I don't use music outside on the bike. Onthe turbo trainer it's either Radio 4 or a selection from the free cds that we get from time to time with the paper.
    I'm generally too lazy to put stuff on my mp3 so when I'm running its a shuffle of Dr Hook, Meatloaf, Simon & Garfunkel, Thin Lizzy and The Eagles that I have had for a year or so. Never know come Christmas I may change it.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    If |I run to any music at all its always up beat and normally 90's house music. Spot the 1990's teen ager in the room. Here I am.

I have been known to run to technotronic as well.

Never cycle to music. Thats what organ donors do!!!!
  • jcs356jcs356 Posts: 37
    Never use any music when outdoors either cycling (too dangerous) or running (as people have stated, you can't race with it so why train with it).

On the turbo I stick with the CD's I cut when I used to teach spinning back in the early 2000's - nothing modern, mostly 70's disco or 80's movie soundtracks (e.g. Top Gun).
  • move up forum
  • I do about 2hrs at a time on my spin bike. I listen to the likes of BT,Chemical Brothers and the Prodigy .
  • Prodigy's always good, or a bit of Pendulum. I'm partial to Chase & Status atm. Loving their new album.

I'm also partial to some epic music like Immediate and Two Steps From Hell. They tend to do music for trailers and you'll have heard their music before without even realising it. The likes of Top Gear and I'm a Celebrity etc use it all the time for their tense, action packed moments. Great to listen to, keep you on the edge of your seat type of music. Discovered them watching a youtube vid about Hawaii and had me wanting to enter an IM then and there.

I've made the mistake of listening to music outside on the bike once and that's definitely a shortcut to helping someone on the transplant list, no arguments there!

Gotta disagree on the running front though, I like to stick on the ipod and run otherwise I'm left with my own thoughts and nobody wants that

Mat
  • lol, you're right about 2 steps from hell, just checked them out on itunes and I want to go out running now! Think will download one the albums and have a crack at the weekend
  • Generally don't listen when out the road, but when in the gym/at home I find metal is quite good. One of particular favourites is Enter Shikari's Juggernauts - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4b-GEJh8AM
    -----------------------------------------------------
    http://ninjatriathletemonkey.blogspot.com/