Home Chat General Chat

Online Race Entry 2012 Dilema

Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Well I think an honest assessment must be made; if you reckon you could do 2:15 by then go for that, it will also act as a massive incentive Good luck
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    I see in the 2011 Liverpool results that only 25 competitors finished under 2 hours 15 out of a field of 600+ that is about 4%.. Do you think you could be top 4% by next year ? its a big task with the quality of todays top triathletes. It would be interesting to find out how many competitors actually started in this sub 2:15 wave, I dont know but I would imagine more than 25.
    How is your swim ? If you think you can mix it with the top swimmers then go for sub 2:15 by the time other competitors are out on the bike and run laps nobody will know the race positions of the individual.
    It is fair to stick on the feet of faster swimmers, if they start to tire find someone else's, thats all part of triathlon.
    Only you can decide but whatever you choose Good Luck and have a good race.
  • You are dead right bathtub about the results. There where around 60 to 80 in the first wave on possibly 'the' if not one of the fastest courses in the country on a perfect day.

I am not sure yet if I can go that fast as I am now 46 but know what I was more or less capable of 20 years ago, then I had youth on my side but I didn't have the opportunity to train full time. This is where Zacnici might have a point and thanks for it, 'if you think you can' then go for it, if I do I won't be the only one, but is this right?

Quite a few in the first wave last year would have a very clear idea what they are capable of yet I suspect it was not the case that over half of this wave had a bad day at the office. To them it might be part of the game to surround yourself with better athletes to help pull you along on a relatively open course, and that is my problem at the moment. If I knew I was that fast now then I would be comfortable with the situation and not be bothered as to who is in the wave with me simply race anyone close by and hope you are doing well in your age group. Does 2:15 really mean 2:30 and 2:30 mean 2:45? From my experience I am not sure that there is that much of a problem around the 2:30 mark as that is a relatively attainable goal for a lot of individuals who can put in a reasonable amount of training per week, it might get harder as you get a bit older. 2:15 as your point shows is a different mark altogether.

One thought is that this type of event might not be the best intro back, rather a full field mass start avoids these issues and I could get a time to base future decisions on, but then again if it is a multi lap course it could be even more frustrating. I also can't see myself being that interested in Olympic distance events the following year, rather it is a case of taking this race pace into longer distance events as best I can. If people think there are better events out there which are mass start on good 'racing' circuits what are they, Liverpool was a well organised event last year on a great course and is local hence its attraction.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    If you are asking the question you sound like a man of integrity, having participated in wave starts & being impeded by those clearly in the wrong wave much to my annoyance, my instinct would be to say go for the later waves you know you can stay with now. However Zac has a great point regarding incentive & motivation, also I suspect from your posting that should you find yourself not able to keep up as you would like, that you would not needlessly impede those that are keeping the pace. I have no particular problem with slower competitors (not that i am Mr Speedy) as long as they keep out of the way..so to speak & don't block or impede those who are faster..after all a mass start will always have this issue.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    Maybe it's the wrong event for you at this stage. Too expensive and too popular.

Have a look at the trihard.co.uk events. There are some more obscure ones that are lower priced, and have smaller fields and fewer novices. The courses are more challenging though.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I think Jack might be right about choice of events - Liverpool is expensive and if you're just getting back into racing you can do more cheaper races.

However, on the swim drafting, I wouldn't even consider whether that's right or wrong. Open water swims are for drafting and it's a good way to get a faster swim than you might otherwise manage. The person you draft will be trying to draft somebody else, so I wouldn't worry about that!
  • move up forum
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Last year I was in the second AG wave. There were lots of slower folk on the bike course by my 4th bike lap but there was a lot of room to get past, I never had a problem.
  • Got to agree with Jules there I did it this year and although I'd not managed anything in the way of bike training all year I was consistently passing people by the 4th lap. I started in the 2nd AG wave as well and didn't find myself getting held up on the bike course.

Whether you're on a tri bike or not I suspect that 2:15 is attainable considering you reckon you can do 2:23. As you probably know already this course is tailored towards getting a PB so even more incentive right there.

From my experience of the event having done it twice and loved it (for the same reasons as you're thinking of entering) I'd definitely recommend it. I don't think it'll make any difference which wave you go with as there's scope to easily overtake throughout.

Hope I didn't ramble too much and this helps.

Mat
  • Thanks for all the advice. I feel the right decision is to put down to enter the 2:30 wave as it seems the bike course was not that problematic. I also feel there is more chance is this wave of getting involved in the swim and taking some responsibility for pacing at times and not feeling the first section of the race is all about finding the right feet and trying to hang on.

The race is expensive but many years ago I wouldn't have dreamed about having a closed course triathlon in Liverpool when i first got involved in the sport in the same city, if it was three times the price the personal draw would still be there.