Home Chat General Chat

Head torch for night running.

Does anyone have any advice on a good head torch to buy.
This will be used for night running, mainly XC.
I do have a head torch that I use for commuting to and from work on the bike but it is more for people to see me than for anything else.
I need something that is going to show up all the roots and rocks.
Please help.

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Cannot advise directly as mine is a cheapo & I got it a long time ago.

For a cheapish one have a look what walking/outdoor magazines recommend. They usually have group tests around this time of the year and may even put them up on websites.

For a more high tech, off road, blind the bunnies lights have a look at what orienteers use for night orienteering. They are lightweight, head mounted and designed for more challenging terrain than trails. I've used Silva headlights a few years ago & they did turn night into day. Shops like Compass Sport should be able to help.

Yours

Harry
  • I've got a petzil head lamp,

its really good, light weight and I use it mainly off road all winter, there not cheap, but I've had mine 2 years now and it's still going strong, had it out in all weather conditions too!

pricey but worth the investment!
  • move up forum
  • Trisurfer wrote:
    I've got a petzil head lamp,

its really good, light weight and I use it mainly off road all winter, there not cheap, but I've had mine 2 years now and it's still going strong, had it out in all weather conditions too!

pricey but worth the investment!
    Completely agree, I bought mine this winter and the pretzil is brill, well worth the £35
  • I recently got a Lenser H7R and think it is brilliant. I can run down the local towpath at night at the same sort of speed |I go at during the day. Trail magazine recently did a headtorch comparison test. The Lenser H7R at about £45 was the top "budget" torch..
  • lukeflukef Posts: 6
    Got a 50lumens head torch to run in streets and parks with almost no lights. Spent £35 and am very happy with my buy. Previously had a 20lumens which was not good enough as I could barely see where my feet where landing. Hope this help.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    +1 for the Alpkit nivagh posted above, great piece of kit and only £12.50.... lights up the road/track very well and even has a red light on the battery pack to make sure you are lit up from behind too