Home Chat Race Chat

half iron-man advice

Hi all, have been doing Tris now for 2 years and want to move up to the 70.3 distance, I live in the South of the UK so am after any advice about what first-time friendly events are out there within a couple of hours drive......thanks

Comments

• Hi there.

Recommend IM UK 70.3 on exmoor. Yes it is hard, but it really is epic. The course is fantastic, and the achievement of finishing is superb.

Other than that I think there is one in the New Forest, and a couple just North of London i.e. Henley half and the Cowman in Milton Keynes if you wanted to stretch a bit more north. There must be more but I personally don't know.

But tbh I really couldn't rate IM70.3 high enough. It is expensive but I believe totally worth it. It is the best race I ever done and may ever do. But again people have different opinions and Joe Bloggs may come on here and say it is appalling.

Hope this helps,
    DTTM
  • Thanks DTTM, just been to the website...£210...wow...is it worth that price????? the little woody is only £65...why is the 70.3 so dear????
  • Hello 'wp' I've never done a triathlon and I've just entered wimbleball.so if it makes you feel any better you won't be the only one there.
  • Did Cowman 2011 and it was very well organised - a very enjoyable race.
    Have entered the Vit and am toying with an entry to the Marshman and possibly the Cowman again in 2012..... Maybe. Depending on the WAT. And the family. And me winning the lottery...
  • Cotswold 113 middle

Cowman

IMUK 70.3 - expensive cos it's branded. Doesnt make it the best though.

New forest middle

There are loads. Get on Tri 24/7 website and find the events that might suit you
  • samwookiesamwookie Posts: 28
    heres a blog with all the middle distances on the main land, and it has prices!

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83254
  • Bala in north wales! Did it last year for my first middle distance, crazy weather on the day but amazing event and great cycle and run. Doing again this year!!
  • willieverfinishwillieverfinish Posts: 1,381
    Its been 6 months since he's been on here.

I hope he's not lost his mojo
  • samwookiesamwookie Posts: 28
    this page will keep you busy...

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83254

henley and exmore look to be the only ones on closed roads... id thats not a problem i recommend doing as few of the others, new forest and big cow look to be great! but exmore and henley are the best (and most expensive...)

good luck + start training harder than you are now... you'll need it!!
  • first of all good luck hope you do good in the race,

now there are many things you need to know like the most command eating right, staying healthy and so on. but one thing that help me is working out where you're going to actually swim, bike, and run at. maybe it can help you too
  • first of all good luck in your race. one of the things i do is workout where i'm going to actually compete at. maybe this can help you too
  • this forum has become a strange and random place, where normal laws of physics no longer apply.
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    KidStardust wrote:
    this forum has become a strange and random place, where normal laws of physics no longer apply.
    Hey! That means I've finally found somewhere I could be fast!
  • GeneralGeneral Posts: 26
    I live in cheshire, any decent Half Iron man events in this area? Looking at doing it in 2013, give me a little time to get rid off the sparte tyre!!
  • sonofsammosonofsammo Posts: 191
    General wrote:
    I live in cheshire, any decent Half Iron man events in this area? Looking at doing it in 2013, give me a little time to get rid off the sparte tyre!!

Check out http://www.britishtriathlon.org/take-part/events/ - you can do a search for all sorts of events on there.
    Also, try asking the question at [url]forum.bcttt.com[/url]
  • bit delayed with a reply but...

there's nothing i'm aware of in cheshire (my home county as well) but bala middle isn't too far and is great race.