Home Chat General Chat

where is the best 70.3 course?

I want to enter a 70.3 event in 2012 and was thinking about Antwerp but have just read that the bike course is dull and around the docks.

Which 70.3 is the most picturescue??? can be UK or Mainland Europe, as long as sensible car drive.

Comments

• IMUK 70.3

Tough course - they say the toughest 70.3 in the world .

What more could you want ?
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    AMEN - UK 70,3 is hard but awesome. No one tells you about the hill on the run. The layout and course are hard but a great setting.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Just because it is tough,doesn't make it the best.

Courses change each year so one year it may be good the next year rubbish.

For interest and good scenery,St.Poelten in Austria,the swim is in two lakes,with a run between,the swim exit near a nudist beach.
    The bike is on closed roads,including a Motorway,the chance to race on a motorway is a novelty in itself,the route then goes through the vineyards and a UNESCO heritage area,also along the banks of the Danube(yes it is blue).

the run is abit dull,but well supported by locals.
  • For me it is also the UK IM 70.3.

Tough but very rural course and if you get your head up some lovely views.

Run is also tough but around the lake and dam which is also nice.
  • Does it have to be a Branded IM event?

There are tons of faces.

Challenge Vinch half looks the business.

Have a look at their events and the UK does have some brilliant middle distances.
  • eamonneamonn Posts: 30
    I did Germany 70.3 a couple of years ago in beautiful Weisbaden.Unbelieveable event.The cycle is a bit hilly(marble smooth roads) and is very picturesque passing through lots of small villages were everyone turned out to support the race.Bands,cowbells,whistles,vuvesellas,thought I was in Tour De France
    The run was around the town centre with thousands of spectactors.Great place,great people,great race.
  • Going to throw the Galway 70.3 into the running. Course is relatively flat, but it goes through some of the most picturesque landscapes of Ireland.. The weather made it tough as hell so a great mix all-round

Plus you get to recover by doing a bit of surfing in those atlantic waves.. Or drown your sorrows in Guinness.
  • bunongbunong Posts: 49
    All sounds good. It doesn't have to be IM branded race as I think you're paying a permium for the name. Austria sounds good but is too far away, Galway may get my pennies, I like the idea of a guiness after - one would probably finish me off