Home Chat General Chat

HRM - swimming use

I have a Garmin forerunner 305 HRM and am thinking of using it during swimming for both training and racing. The unit is waterproof under 1m water for 30 mins continuous - however it states within the instructions it is not intended for use whilst swimming.

Does anyone use their HRM for swimming? If so, what waterproof rating does their HRM have? I really dont want to knacker the unit if its a risk!

Comments

• WellaWella Posts: 188
    i'm awaiting delivery of one of these so any info would also be useful. I've heard of others using it on the swim leg without any problems so it sounds like it could be one of those small print statements by the manufacturer just in case.
  • rj1265rj1265 Posts: 70
    I have a Timex Ironman watch/HRM allegedly waterproof to 100M that I used for swimming until it filled with water [:@] , not willing to 'risk' my 305 Forerunner in the pool / lake... If the 305 failed whilst swimming with it not sure if it would be fixed under warranty ??

Happy Training

R

• pdundepdunde Posts: 99
    i think if you could convince them it wasnt used during swimming (not sure how) you should be able to get it fixed under warranty. Its a risk though, and a pricey bit of kit! I had it in the pool with me for 10 mins and it was fine - not sure about any longer though. Not sure what to do on this one as i could really do with it on the swim!
    just found a website with details of HRM useage in water. Generally you can use them for swimming however its dependant on the pressure rating of the model. As the Garmin is only to 1m static pressure and in motion the pressure goes up, im not going to risk using it - plus most HRM units cannot read HRM data underwater anyway apparently! Better off buying a 10 quid stopwatch for swims i think - which is a real shame as thats one of the major reasons i got a decent HRM. DOH.

http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/heart_rate_monitor_faq.html
    sorry this post is becoming a bit of a monolgue! But found some new info..Apparently some people are recommended putting the HRM under the swim cap whilst in the water. As for poor reception from the transmitter, one thing that might work is to put the device on back to front so the transmitter is on your back. I might check this out sometime in next few weeks - ill let you know how i get on! Hopefully my HRM will still be working!
  • jimhop51jimhop51 Posts: 22
    I used my garmin forerunner 301 for swimming last year and had no problems at all. I was in the water for over an hour and it still works fine!
    Just got an email off a vendor saying the Garmin 305 forerunner is totally fine for surface swimming, so that plus Jimhops post gives me much more confidence. Will give it a go Thursday in the pool, may try putting the HRM belt on my back as well to see if i can pick up HR data. Will let you know how i get on.
  • Dont know about you guys but I have a polar HRM and the main problem is the monitor part keeps slipping down off my chest when I push off the wall. I tried using a string around my neck but that didnt seem to work. I thought about duck tape but can think of better ways to wax my chesthair off!

Any suggestions.

I have to say when it stayed on I had no problems getting readings. It seemed to work just fine underwater.