Home Chat General Chat

washing running trainers?

Hi

Hope you all had a nice Christmas and got lots of new toys and kit!

I went for a run and got very muddy (all fun though), and wondered if trainers could go in a washing machine? Can you chuck them in, put them in a pillow case, use a certain setting?

I've been told not to dry them on a radiator etc just stuff newspaper in them to let them dry naturally.

Any tips/advice please.

Andy

Comments

• Hi

I wash mine, standard wash, no pillow case ( although that might be a good idea ), and dry on the radiator
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I have heard mixed advice regarding running shoes and washing - Putting them in a washing machine can saturate them and could interfere with the mechanincs of the shoes and then they may give less stability or performance.

I generally just hose mine out then turn them upside down to dry naturally - I have washed normal trainers in the washing mashine without any problems but I would only put them in on a short cycle at 30 degrees or less with non bio.
  • Ive been told by an expert not to put them in the machine as it wrecks them (what you cant see inside) I wouldnt risk expensive ones. (Does get them clean though!)
  • Thanks all.

Think I will hose and brush them down to save risking any internal damage.

Have a great new year!!

Andy
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Soak them in some Biotex or vanish for an hour then scrub rinse and wipe,
    washing machine may ruin the trainers.The biotex will eliminate the nasty odours.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I wash mine in the washing machine, haven't noticed any structural change or lack of support etc when running in them.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I was told by my local running shop to only wash in the insoles and not the trainers. The plastic bits that run around the back and in the sole get damaged by washing machines. They told me just to use a clothe to clean them.