Home Chat General Chat

Triathlon Newbie

Hi all,

I am a complete Triathlon newbie and am contemplating doing a few races this year. I have completed a couple of semi marathons, cycle a few times a week to work and swim an hour a week. I am planning to enter a couple of sprint distances in the may / July period to warm up and do an olympic distance in August or September. I have got a couple of questions concerning the kit as I am trying to minimise the cost.

1° Swim: I have seen a couple of companies are renting wetsuits. Has anyone tried this option before?
2° Bike: I only have a £500 mountain bike. I was wandering if fitting road tyres would be enough, might consider buying clip on bars. Would I look stupid on race day?
3° Run: no questions really

Not in the race to win, just a finisher, but I wouldn't mind finishing the OD with a sub 2h30. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    ok, welcome to triathlon and its ever growing popularity.

1. Swim, I have never rented a wetsuit but lots of people do. It will cost you around £50-£70. Just make sure you get the size right. A bad fitting suit is bad. Fit is as we say KING!

2. Bike, yes fitting slick tyres to your MTB is a great idea. As for looking silly or daft! Who cares, you are out there doing it. Clip on bars would get you in a better position but I would try without first to see how much you like tri and put the money towards a road bike later.

There is a ton of kit you could buy and most of it looks great but has no effect on speed.
    I would however look into getting a number belt.

Good luck.

Blinkybaz
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Hi and welcome to our crazy world.

AS above.
    Re wetsuit hire, good way to go to get the fit right and dip your toe in the water so to speak. Check it out as you might be able to buy the suit after the hire with the hire price deducted. Depending on the hire co the wetsuits may not be the mainstream ones but hire specific so that may limit feedback from fotum members and also online reviews.

Re bike, yep put on a set of road tyres, I have seen an MTB with aerobars so don't worry, most of us, me included, started off on an MTB - carbon will seduce you soon enough.

Enjoy
  • Error whilst Doing a Replacement, Error in srv_convert.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Just to repeat what others have said.

Wetsuit hire is a good idea, especially with the option to buy the suit at the end of the year. Or buying an ex-rental wetsuit can be good value.

No-one will be bothered that you're on a mountain bike with slick tyres (or even with MTB tyres). You won't be the only one in the race by any means. However, one of the easiest ways for you to go quicker will be to get a road bike.

2.30 for an OD triathlon is a good time, I'm guessing in most races that would put you in the top third to quarter of the field. Not easy, especially on a MTB.

Good luck!
  • lukeflukef Posts: 6
    Thanks all for the replies, slick tyres it is then, and a few more training sessions per week!