Home Chat General Chat

What did you do before tri?

When did you start racing triathlons and what were you doing before it?

My cycling adventure started with downhill before swapping to race BMX, towards the end fo this season I am looking to make a very big change and move towards triathlons. How has your adventure lead you to tri?

Comments

• Nothing. After giving up smoking around 4 months ago, I needed a new fix and this was it!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Was in Thai Boxing for 12 years and just got bored of it. Let myself go and then saw the swimathon. Inside 6 weeks I had trained solid to enable me to complete the 5k. Then bought a bike and stumbled across this web-site... the rest is history
  • Horses...then coached triathlon, then started competing!
  • My trivolution:
    Fat useless knacker.
    Dad
    Scared
    Poorly kid
    More scared
    Lost weight
    Got fitter
    Sprint
    OD
    HIM
    DNF IM
    This year - IM FINISH
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Nothing
    Did a few bits in the gym, spin, treadmill, crosstrainer but still a fat knacker.
    Thought all triathlons were Ironman distance, then my gym hosted a sprint tri, thought 'I can do that' came almost bottom 12min I think for the 400m swim. T1 was towel down, apply sun screen, shorts on, vest on socks on, shoes on etc. bike on my Halfords £60 MTB with knobbly tyres.
    Loved it,
    Stumbled on this website, rest is history.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I did nothing before Tri - spent 20 years drinking and smoking and not doing any exercise - then decided I ought to get fit - since then got fit, stopped smoking and have completed every distance from sprint to IM in the last 3 years ... 2012 was going to be the double IM but decided against it and going Oly for this year to gain more speed.
  • Hi, I used to do kick boxing many years ago but became ill, I joined my local lesiure centre two and a half yrs ago to improve my fittness, I saw a flyer there advertising a local sprint and entered!....swim 11min bike (mountain bike with knobblys) 53min and run 21min!

I bought a cheap road bike a month later and done another sprint (same distances) and knocked 32min of the time!........End result hooked!

Two and a half years later! Now waiting the arrival of my first TT bike from planet x!.... Stealth Pro Carbon with Sram Force and 101/82mm Carbon Tub Wheelset!......Excited or What lol!
  • jcs356jcs356 Posts: 37
    I came from a cycling background. Did quite a bit of 10 and 25 mile time trial racing whilst at Uni, but then unfortunately had a bad cycling crash whilst commuting into work 4 months after graduating. Having smashed 3 of my upper front teeth, I became a bit afraid of cycling on the road so spent the next few years in the gym, mainly spinning. I also took my Spinning instructor's course and taught for about 4 years.

Started in Tri in 2001 having been talked into it by a friend, spent the past 10 years racing olympic and sprints, and did HIM UK last year.

Hate to admit it, but I'm actually moving away from Tri - for the first time in 11 years I haven't entered London Tri (some might say I won't miss anything! ). Will probably just do a couple of local sprints to blast the dust off the QR.

I'm now spending most of my time cycling - so back to my routes. I'm riding the entire route of the Tour de France in the same number of days as the pro's, starting 1 week before them. So I've got that to 'worry' about for this year.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Competed in first Triathlon 25 years ago, lost count of how many Tri's Ive completed since then from sprint to IM, also race TT's, MTB and CX.

Pre tri did Judo, amatuer boxing, football and then running.

I come from a sporting background, my Dad who is 82 years old has always and still does to this day teach Judo.
  • Smoked until 2004 then my wife decided to do a 10 k run and I wanted something more than just running, so a quick internet search took me to Andover try-a-tri and it just escalated from there.
  • XC running and a bit of track as a tiddler.

Started swimming in my teens, Raced Darren Mew at 50m breast stroke at the age of 17 and was left in his wake
    http://www.ellesmere.com/news/darren-me ... east-for-/

Moved to the Netherlands in my early 20s and started cycling and continued road cycling and TT when I returned to the UK.

So the natural progression was at the age of 30 to start tri. Last year completed my first 70.3 (Highland Warrior) And this year I'm entering Helvellyn Hope to see you there!
    Rupert Norris
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    No idea..what did I do with all that time?
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    Before tri I watched more TV, played Championship Manager, and weighed more.
  • HodgeHodge Posts: 9
    Drank, smoked and got fat and still aint done a Tri. First ones Thames turbo in may. Still fat but training and loving it .
  • samwookiesamwookie Posts: 28
    skiing. moved back to england and uni was a bore... triathlon should keep me stimulated for the foreseeable future