Home Chat General Chat

Iron Man switzerland

Comments

• treefrogtreefrog Posts: 1,242
    I hope all is going well with you guys. I think I'm over the cold and have got back into full training. Tonight is the real tester with a 30 km'er. I have another accommadation question - are there any camp sites near-by, a friend of mine is thinking of taking his 4 yearold son on a camping trip and also wants to inspire him by exposing the little mite to us hairy a***d lunatics plodding around Zurich?
    Well the purple patch is over and I'm now back to grovelling: I did the 30 km'er on Friday (2.32 HR 144bpm). This was quite good but my legs were in agony and I don't think I'd have done another 12km. I took Saturday off to recover then came Sunday - The final reliability trial/race, I was ok for the first half but then I kept getting dropped and having to fight my way back, I did this 4 times before admitting defeat and pedalled the last 10 miles on my own in the wind and rain. What a reality check!
  • steveosteveo Posts: 69
    aye, theres nothing like a bad day to bring you back down to earth.

i pulled my hamstring whilst playing rugby at the weekend and so my training has once again ground to a halt.

is it me or are hamstring injuries really annoying as you do not feel it all day and the minute you get a little over excited pop she goes again.

have we all got our accomodation sorted?

you all probably received the same email as i did reminding us about it. i realised today that the hotel whihc i am staying in is a good 15 minute car journey to the site!!!!

injury update - right hamstring torn, no playing for two weeks!! although i can swim.

how are you guiys feeling? you feeling better treefrog?
    I got the accommadation email also. I took Jon e's advice and booked everything through Nirvana europe - it is a good package transport to & from the airport and hotel b&b etc in a course-side hotel, it is expensive-ish but I've a mate who came close to having a bad experience at IM austria - his hotel was miles away - he decided not to let all his sacrifices and training go to waste so he had to unleash the credit card and get a room in the super first class ££££££ hotel.

My advice is to give Brendan Duggan at nirvana europe a call (Newcastle/Tyneside based) and see what he can offer you. I don't have contact details here but I can get them later. The bottom line is you don't want to blow all your training and your race day peace of mind for the sake of £100 - get the closest hotel you can get to the start/finish of the course, and go for the most luxurious option you can afford. Also speaking from rowing experience transport to/from airpots gets rid of a huge amount of unnecessary stress - think about it you just get off the plane, collect your luggage & bike, get picked up at arrivals, by a sympathetic driver who knows what you're about to embark on and best of all won't say "this bike box ees too big"!
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Hi all,when I look for accomodation I agree and go for ease of access to course over cost.I use the internet to get a street map of the city/town/area where I am going to then do an accomodation search to find the nearest,the race web site does not always list all available hotels,if you are getting a car always have money for the meters as some hotels do not have parking.The airport has a direct rail connection to the city so if the taxi driver says 'it is too beeg'there is always the train.As for injury I am out for 6-8 weeks with medial ligament damage in my right knee.This would put me in the just finish in the time if I decide to race ,so I have set a deadline if I am not fit I will cut my losses and not risk serious damage better to be cautious and race tomorrow than stupid and never race again even if it does mean losing money.
    that is really bad news. your right though, better to rest now and fight another day.

eight weeks would put you to the end of april so i reckon you could still make it to zurich. after all by you rown admission your not going to try to win the thing.

would be a shame to let it all go now.
    Cheers Steve hope the hamstring is ok for the slopes,so have a great time.
    Jon E sorry to learn about the injury, don't let it or the weather get you down. I'll come out with all the ususal cliches - keep soldiering on, and don't give up on Zurich until the last minute. Also I think you're sensible to realise that the injury might stop your IM CH, butequally you might get through this. Anyway best of luck and We'll keep supporting you!
    ps: That is one hell of a story you told us on the "IRONMAN HELP" thread, I didn't think any official could be such a pedantic jobsworth. Was he German ???
    Thankyou for that Treefrog,the only annoying thing about injury is as races fill up so quickly you have to enter early so it is the bank account that takes the biggest hit with the races that you cannot attend.If I can rectify the problem so I can cure the problem and prevent re occurrence I'll be happy.As for the race with the bike pump I think it was in the USA,in way of another story there is an athlete called Chuckie V,quite good,but bonked during a race but instead of pulling out he continued to walk to the finish and chatted to the race supporters along the route to the finish,he accepted a can of beer from one of them and subsequently got DQ'd for accepting outside assistence.Still rules are rules and if I race I will attempt to abide by them.

It has only bothered me once and that was during the Leeds Marathon in 1999 all through the race I kept seeing the same man by the side of the road ,in the last 2 miles he started running with one of the female runners forcing her to up her speed,Which was similar to mine,400 yards from the finish he pulled over to allow her to continue and went to meet her at the finsh.It was not until I read the paper the next day and saw her picture to find that she had gained automatic qualification into the London Marathon by finishing under 3hrs 15m (10 secs under).If it was not for outside assistance she would not have qualified.Thats that off my chest,take care.

Jon.E
    Sorry as an add on if you enjoy reading about other peoples exploits try 'Becoming an Ironman' it is available on Amazon.Includes one story about the man who bumped into someone during the swim only to discover he was walking as he could not swim.
    Jon E those are great stories the lore of sport is great - I can give you a rowing one. Ghent regatta is the unofficial European club championships so the umpires are from all over ; Belgium, Holland, France, Ireland, UK and wait for it ... Germany. Now there is a rule in rowing that everyone in the same crew must wear uniform kit - which makes sense but usually applies to One-piece race suit, and t-shirt & leggings if worn. Well this particular day the ... yes you've guessed it German umpire gave a crew a false start (penalty) for not wearing the same type of socks - furthermore he insisted that they all remove their socks so that they would complete the race "inst da ooniform clothing"!

Anyway once again I hope your bank balance withstand your injury and that you get back into it again so you can be there in Zurich for our "unmaskings" and pints. All the best Treefrog.

I don't know if this is a common problem but I've just developed the codition CBA (can't be assed). I'm not tired or ill but a wave of indifference has come over me - despite the fact that everything is going well (except for by battle to lose 5 kg). I'm still motivated and really looking forward to the race, but its' like temporary demotivation ; possible because I'm really annoyed with the weather and can't wait for the clocks to go forward and the weather to improve.I've decided to take a couple of days off training to see if I can get fired up again.

Is this normal and do you guys have any remedies for me please?
    Hi,Treefrog,do not be worried about the CBA,I often get hit by it.It can be down to any number of reasons,psychologically you brain thinks distance,distance,distance but your mind says boring,boring,boring.It is just a speed bump in your progress,look back at your training log and see what improvements you have made.Try training with someone else.A wise man once told me to be good is easy to excel takes something else.Forget the weight loss your training will monitor it for you if you are following a structured plan(I am about 21 lbs above my ideal racing weight).I am still off training even swimming is painful if I do not get my body position right.Keep smiling.
    good morrow to all.

back from the slopes and a good time had by all. no falls or injuries and the skiing has done the hamstring a power of good.

back to full training tomorrow.

CBA is great problem as it is an excuse to do something different. i recently went to the velodrome in manchester to try out the time trial sprint thing with a friend of mine. i still classed it a cycle training but with a twist. it made me realise that i have actually developed some serious power int eh lower limbs that you just do not realise you have when you are just running around a rugby pitch for hours on end.

jon.e - how is the knee coming along?

treefrog - CBA is be treated like er well a treat. i often get sick of seeing an egg shaped ball rolling around in front of me so i play tennis or football. just by doing something different once it will restore your verve and get you back on track.
    Greetings one and all,The only training I am doing is hitting my head against the wall.My Physio has done what she can and given me a list of strengthening exercises to do,my search for finding a cause of the injury took me to the sports podiatrist today to see if my orthotics were to blame(they weren't) however she advised giving up running,cue one podiatrist shaped hole in the wall.Still the amount of time spent in the pool has giving me gills and webbed feet.

Glad the skiing went well and the hamstring is healing nicely.As for the CBA syndrome as the race scene has now started perhaps this will cure the syndrome.
    Stevo - good to hear your skiiing holiday went well, you must be refreshed and ready for the final run I'm told the last 12 weeks are crucial. Jon E its good to hear that your swimming is benefitting from the enforced lay-off the road, but I think you must be on the road to recovery if you are so diametrically opposed to the podiatrist - what do they know anyway at college I think they're told "if in doubt lay off all sport forever!"

Anyway I think I've got over the CBA as I'm now definitely assed a short break from training helped, and on your advice a bit of moutain biking helped. ps I'm now working on my cycling master plan ....more later!
    Now to reveal my cycling masterplan.... Not far from where I live there is a 58 km loop with 2 hills - basically it resembles the IM ch cycle course, so guess what my weekend cycles will consist of. Furthermore there is also a forest park with a 1.5kM long lake and loads of running paths so not only will I be able to simulate the cycle but I'll be able to to do all sorts of brick sessions and transition training. This all came out of looking at maps and going for drives during the depths of the CBA - so you were right it can be turned into an advantage. Hope all the training & injury recovery (and ignoring of podiatrists adice) is going well.
    that sounds like a nice tool.

do we know whtat the cut of times are for each aspect of the race? i think the swim is 2.5 hours but not sure of the others.

kendal is approximately 90km from my house with a few hills etc and so the return trip will take me to the magical figure.

the run is pretty flat and so i am going to start training on a hill course that i have mapped out. doesn't make sense but i think it will be more beneficial.
    Hi All,I think the cut off times are

swim 2hrs 30mins

swim+bike 10hrs 30mins

swim+bike+run 17hrs

Steveo your 90km from Kendal must put you near Preston why not try the Commonwealth cycling course around Rivington and there are some excellent climbs around Clitheroe/Pendle.

Still not running/cycling yet as the pain is telling me not too.
    thats right. the Bolton tri bike course follows an almost exact copy of the commonwealth course but it is only 40k long i just dont fancy doing four laps of it. although it is going to have to be done as it has two hills that reasemble the infamous heartbreak hill that we are going to have to climb.

kendal was one of those targets you set yourself to see if you can do it. a striaght out and back run head down no concentrating (well minimal anyways).

i am off work for the next couple of weeks so it going to give me plenty of time to get some serious miles under my belt.
    I did some diary work last night and and I see that we are fast approaching the 12 week deadlline that is deemed to be important. It's actually a bit frightening as there's all sorts of stuff I have to do yet .... open water swim, what kit to wear, what set up for the bike, a nutrition plan, ask for time off work, and all dear knows what else! Should we form an IMch ecklist?
    Yesterday I thought I'd swing the masterplan into place and cycle the 55km loop, better still I thought why not cycle the 40 km out to it ! I did this and then out on the loop found a maze of roads, dead ends and roads leading to farmsteads. Ileft home at 8.00 am and 12 hours later I pulled the chicken switch and phoned a friend to rescue me, I don't know what my total distance was but I do know that I'll never take on a new route without properly driving around it. I slept soundly last night!
    hello all, sorry not been on for a while.

checklist sounds like a good idea. maybe JonE can help out with that one???

i am upping the ante for the next nine weeks which will give a me a few to chill out prior to D-Day. long swims in the morning with interval sessions incorporated, then in the afternoons either a nice long run or a 100k bike ride alternating accordingly. rest days are still being incorporated but these will be the days that i am playing rugby.

i have got some new aero wheels (HED Jets) and have upgraded to a dura ace cassette with hope skewers.

open water swims will be available from the beginning of may with my club so will have access fror a couple of weeks prior to the race.

nutrition is something that i need to look at seriously. powerbar are providing supplements on the day so i am going to start using thier products to get used to them. will have a think about what stuff i will be putting in my special needs bag but probably bagels and cereal bars???
    Hi everyone,awesome ride Treefrog maybe a GPS is on your christmas list hope you didn't meet any one playing a banjo!

This is the checklist I use:

SWIM:swimsuit,wetsuit,goggles(2),2 towels,swimcap(usually provided)sunscreen,bodyglide.

BIKE:bike,wheels,bike shoes,socks,bike jersey,gloves,spare tubes,pump(or co2),tool kit,sunglasses,water bottle.

RUN:running shoes,socks,vest,hat,sunglasses,shorts,sunscreen.

MISCELLANEOUS:Watch/heartrate monitor,race number,race info,identification,money,nutrition,warm clothes,soap/shampoo,sandals,phone,micropore tape.

I keep this list with my race gear and it seems to work for me.Everyone has their own extras,some prefer to race in the same kit others find it more comfortable to change,trunks to cycling gear to running gear.It is better to have too much than think OH b***o**s.If you do forget the chances are it can be bought at the event centre.

Hope this helps good luck with the training .
    Sorry I forgot to mention INSURANCE,for your bike and are you insured for being injured whilst competing in a RACE.IV drips are available at the finish for about 100chf but basic travel insurance may not cover for any accident that may happen during a competitive race,and any damage to your pride and joy by a happy go lucky baggage handler,it is worthwhile checking the small print,ringing the underwriters or getting a bespoke one by shopping around.If there is ever a dark cloud that hangs over me it is that of insurance,some do not bother and hope that they will be ok or that basic insurance will cover you,a one off policy for a few days will not break the bank hopefully.P.S. still not able to either run or cycle yet and have pulled most of my hair out in frustration.
    Insurance, now that's an excellent thought, I've been so caught up with training and getting lost that I never even thought of essentials like that. What type of insurance and what company do you reccommend? Is there an "all in" sports insurance package available : ie Bike and athlete covering for travel, loss, damage, injury etc or are we at the mercy of the "We'll take your money and wriggle out of any claims via the small print" insurance company?

Basically where do you reccommend? and what is the cost of insuring a £3000 bike etc?

ps Hope you get back in harness soon or we'll have to drink your beers in Zurich!
    sorry to hear that JonE, but you must be off the crutches and in physio by now???

i feel awful now saying this but i did my first 4k swim today in 1:39. very pleased with myself.

i am going to add cycling shorts to the checklist as i fancy a little more comfort for the bike leg.

insurance is a good call. i have a good insurance policy but will have to double check what it covers in relation to accidents during a race abroad and that they will payout for any breakages to my bike in transport.

On my trips to European regattas we always brought English language books and a world service radio, not to mention my two staples of any travel kit... a torch and a spoon (anything you can't eat with your hands you can eat with a spoon).

Right lets get the ultimate list going..

Travel Documents :

1. Passport

2. Hotel reservation proof

3. Aeroplane ticket & proof of bike-box booking

4. Map of Zurich/Travel book

5. Folder contaning ALL necessary IM entry documents for registration

6. Empty folder for registration documents

7. Photocopies of relevant insurance documents

8. Phrase book (german?!)

9. Small holder for this lot ; eg the type of "briefcase" that's given as a freebie at your mate's conferences.

feel free to add to the list.

ps doing a 5km running race tonight