Home Chat General Chat

Break Squeak on carbon rims?

I've got a bad case of break squeak on my carbon 82/101 wheels! is there anything I can do to stop it?

Cheers
Nige

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Its quite common. Happens on mine a fair bit but usually goes aways once the pads heat up.

theres not a lot you can do - its one of those minor niggles, should go away on its on. You can clean the pads down and remove any grime thats in there.

double check the wear on your pads as well as carbon specific pads wear quite quickly as well
  • Bummer! Wheels and pads are new so no wear or grime on them!.......My Bike will never live up to it's name (Stealth) lol ............at least ppl will hear me coming to get out the way hahaaa!

Cheers
    Nige
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    What pads are you using? My original PX pads squeaked like mad but then got yellow Swiss stops and much better and better braking.

You may also want to look at this re 'toe in' http://www.boydcycling.com/maintenance/
    If your brakes are squealing with the carbon rims, you will need to adjust the toe-in of the brake pads. An easy way to do this is to fold a business card in half and place it behind the rear portion of the brake pad. Squeeze the brakes against the rim and tighten. Now the front half of the brake pad will be angled towards the rim and your wheels won't be screaming at you.
  • Awsome job zacinci!.......trying altering the toe first if It don't work then yellow swisstops it is!

Cheers
    Nige
  • Btw, don't know what pads are on there at the moment.