Home Chat General Chat

Heat Training Study

Hello everyone,

My name is Steve and I am a research student investigating the effects of heat and dehydration on cycling performance. I am looking to recruit participants for an upcoming study which will involve attending our labs at Brunel University, Uxbridge on 5 occasions in May and June 2012.

Requirements include;
• Males
• Aged 18-35 years
• Good training history of cycling/triathlon
• MUST be available to visit for the main session (full day) between 11th - 15th or the 25th - 29th JUNE (latter week TBC)

You will benefit by receiving;
VO2max test
• Get your training/thresholds zones to inform your training
• Gain heart rate responses to each training level

Heat training;
• Get over 8 hours of cycling experience in a hot environment
• Get your own personal sweat rate to inform how much you should drink during racing in hot climates

Compensation for your travel expenses and time

If you are interested and want to know more, please contact me at;

[email protected] or [email protected]

Many Thanks,
Steve

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Male = sexist

Aged 18-35 = Ageist

Also, who trains & races in labs? Rats!

Harry D
    Aged sexist pig not rat
  • wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 34
    You're right. Bradley Wiggins doesn't train in a lab, he uses his garden shed:
    "Imitating preparation techniques used by British riders in the 2008 Olympics, Wiggins placed five heaters and a humidifier in his garden shed so he could train on the rollers at temperatures of over 40C – "you can ride for about 90 minutes before you pass out, literally" he says, slightly disturbingly.
    The Independant, 20 August 2011 http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/cycling-i-can-win-2012-tour-de-france-then-olympic-gold-says-wiggins-2340729.html
    If it's good enough for him........
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Yeh, but you're not him, neither am I, nor I suspect is anyone else reading this forum.

Do what works for you not what works for Bradley. He's not training for tri but the grand tours. 40k after a bit of a swim followed by a jog early some Sunday morning is a bit different to 3500km round the lumpy bits of France for 4 weeks in summer. Or am I missing something?

HarryD
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Man in shed gets off bike & declares..'I am Bradley Wiggins,' 'NO I am Bradley Wiggins.' rings out as another steps into shed, 'I am Bradley Wiggins' says a third...